An Evening With Dr. Charles Krauthammer

Exclusive to Seraphic Secret

By Jake Novak

Last night I was extremely lucky to be invited to spend a very stimulating evening with Dr. Charles Krauthammer, syndicated columnist for the Washington Post and frequently-quoted thinker on Seraphic Secret.

The event was arranged for the biggest donors to a very excellent charity called Shalva, which caters to children with mental and physical disabilities and their parents primarily in Jerusalem but also here in the United States. Please visit Shalva’s web page at www.shalva.org and consider making a donation to this organization that performs incredible acts of kindness every hour of the day.

The evening began with a 20 minute talk by Dr. Krauthammer at the 5th Avenue home of James and Merryl Tisch. Later, I was lucky enough to enjoy a private dinner with Dr. Krauthammer and a just about 10 other people. The dinner did not end until well after 10pm.

For those of you who do not know, Dr. Krauthammer is wheelchair-bound, the result of a devastating car accident in 1972 while he was a first-year student at the Harvard medical college. It was clear to me during his remarks that he is in constant physical pain that he alleviates somewhat by frequently adjusting his mechanical chair. I mention this only to emphasize the fact that it is astounding that a person with such physical difficulties can speak so eloquently no matter what the setting. I also bring his disability up because he happens to be a general opponent of embryonic stem cell research, (although he does believe President Bush’s policy against it is too harsh), and he stands as a strong example of why we should not assume that every American who is paralyzed or similarly incapacitated does not care about the ethical ramifications of unrestricted embryonic research.

Dr. Krauthammer touched on many topics during his remarks. Here are the highlights below, (I endeavor to use the exact words Dr. Krauthammer used as much as possible, but obviously there is some paraphrasing here):

On the War on Terrorism

“America is now facing a similar situation as it did in the early days of the Cold War. Eventually, we came to realize that we faced a menacing threat from two major centers, one in Moscow and the other in Beijing. Today we face a battle against radical Islam, with the Wahabist Sunni power center in Saudi Arabia and the other in the Shiite power center of Tehran.

“Both of these enemies are extremely dangerous and more akin to the Nazi and fascist threat we faced in the 1930’s and 40’s than they are like the slightly less menacing Communist threats of the next 50 years. But even worse than the Nazi menace, is the fact that these newer enemies are much closer to acquiring nuclear weapons than Hitler was at any time during his 1933-45 reign. More on this later…

“The Shiite enemy is more dangerous right now and if the Sunni-Shiite battles escalate beyond the current low-intensity conflict, the United States must back the Sunni powers in heart-wrenching, but necessary “choose Stalin instead of Hitler” kind of way.

“The Shia enemy axis is centered in Iran, with its satellites Hezbollah in Lebanon, and to a growing extent, its new clients in Syria and within Hamas. Syrian Muslims are not purely Shia or Sunni, but they are leaning toward full compliance with Iran in the absence of any other sponsor and protector at the moment. Hamas is 100% Sunni, but it too has decided to align with Iran. Recent protests by Fatah groups in Gaza have included the taunts “Shia! Shia!”, as a way of accusing their Hamas opponents of surrendering their religion to Iran.

“The Sunni enemy is less organized and strong than Iran’s Shia network, because of America’s success in Afghanistan and the war in Iraq. Al Qaeda poses a much smaller threat than Hezbollah as it is on the run and Hezbollah is getting more entrenched in Lebanon every day, Syria has been unmolested, and Iran gets closer to nukes.

“But the focus on the weapons themselves is clouding the fact that we must be more concerned right now with the delivery systems. Even if Iran never gets a nuclear warhead, its missile-launching capacity is greater than ever before right now. The U.S. needs to have a good strategy to destroy those sites instead of trying to neutralize the nuclear program which is mostly underground and spread out all over the country.

“The recent report in the Sunday London Times that Israel has a plan in place to use tactical nukes to hit Iran is complete rubbish, as is everything else that appears in that newspaper. There are important reasons why striking Iran is problematic for Israel, and the biggest reason is that Israel would need somewhere to land and refuel to execute a strike and it is unlikely it could find such a place where it would be allowed to do so right now. Turkey and Iraq are possibilities, but not today. The recent decision to deploy an American aircraft carrier in the Persian Gulf was a welcome event and hopefully it will send a cautionary message to Iran.

“Some of the Sunni-Shia conflict can work to our benefit. Secretary of State Condi Rice is working with Egypt, Saudi Arabia and some other Sunni regimes on setting up some kind of “Sunni NATO” that will give them a stronger military card to play against Iran and possibly Syria in the years to come. It’s not clear whether this idea will work, but it’s worth trying.

“More importantly, the world must get serious with the radical Islamist threat and be ready for a prolonged war in the region. Europe is not only not a realistic ally militarily, but it along with Russia and China will make sure that all the non-military options like negotiations and sanctions will never work. President Bush’s steadfast belief in facing the enemy threat militarily and trying to promote democracy in the region are our best hope. However, for the first time, I am seeing a weakening in the President’s resolve vis a vis Iran and that is very disturbing. Even before the November elections, I spoke with the President and his response to my question about a possible military strike on Iran was met with a meeker answer than ever before.”

On the Situation in Israel

“Israel is straddled with the worst government it’s ever had in its 59-year history. Olmert and company are incompetent, but just competent enough to stay in power and avoid new elections.

“Olmert’s biggest failure was last summer’s war where he bungled a chance to destroy Hezbollah. Sharon had ignored many similar provocations from Hezbollah before, but he never struck back because he was not ready. Olmert struck back, but he too did not have a strategy and he tried to fight the war on the cheap.

“The right man to lead Israel now is Netanyahu. The problem is, and I say this as a strong personal friend of his, he is almost inept at building a coalition and has so many personal problems that he may not be able to win over the Israeli voters ever again. Netanyahu is too clever by half, as was evidenced by his resignation just before the Gaza pullout instead of months before when Sharansky resigned on principle, which is the way to do it. The result was that Olmert solidified his position as Sharon’s successor and Netanyahu can now see that he would today be Prime Minister had he not quit the Sharon government. On the other hand, Netanyahu does have a strategy and is likely to act on it if he is put back in charge. He had one of the most successful terms of any Prime Minister in Israeli history and he was absolutely the best finance minister the country ever had.

“Speaking of Sharansky, he is my
all-time hero. I’ve met many other people who came out of the gulag and situations like that. He is the only one who clearly became a better person in every facet of his life because of that experience. This is in contrast to someone like John McCain who is still quite wounded emotionally from his experiences as a prisoner in Hanoi and still struggles with these handicaps every day.”

On the 2008 Presidential Elections

“This is the first time since 1952 that no President or Vice President is in the race, and that’s why we are seeing so many candidates. However, it is nearly impossible to think of any plausible scenario other than Hillary Clinton as the Democratic nominee and John McCain for the GOP. This is encouraging because Hillary is running to the right of all the other Democrats and McCain is remaining steadfast in his support for the war in Iraq.”

On Jews and American Politics

“The fact that 80% of Jews vote Democratic and vilify President Bush is not only puzzling, it is suicidal. While I differ with the President on many issues myself, most notably abortion that pales in comparison to his support of Israel. This also plays itself out in the way American Jews fear and loathe Evangelicals. This reminds me of Prime Minister Menachem Begin’s visit to the U.S. in 1978 when he met with Jerry Falwell. Jewish groups attacked him and asked how he could meet with someone who ‘only supports Israel because of some Christian belief in the second coming.’ To that, Begin answered, “That does not bother me. But when the Messiah comes, I will ask him: ‘Have you been here before?’

“I am a secular Jew, and I see that Reform Judaism serves a special role by keeping a lot of Jews within the community, but its priorities are way out of whack.”

This entry was posted in Politics. Bookmark the permalink. Trackbacks are closed, but you can post a comment.

1. ann
    Posted March 16, 2011 at 6:27 am | Permalink

You cannot fall asleep when Charles is speaking. He is so interesting and so “on target” on any subject he talks on. YES…Netanyahu is certainly the man for Israel. We must keep him in our prayers as he leads that great nation. I am still confused as to Charles’s injuries were susstained but he is proof that we can rise above our disabilities.

2. Midge
    Posted September 20, 2010 at 7:53 pm | Permalink

I read Dr K was injured in a swimming accident. Which was it? Midge

3. Elaine Blume
    Posted August 31, 2010 at 11:13 am | Permalink

Other sources say that Krauthammer’s paralysis resulted from a diving accident. Please check and correct if necessary.

4. jacqueline ungerleider
    Posted June 15, 2010 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

Dr. Krauthammer you are one of the most intelligent commentators on FOX and a brilliant writer. When I found out you were a psychiatrist I was a little suprised. For several years I was a hospital administrator at a psychiatric facility. There are so many physicians that ignore the political process, but some have jumped in now with Obama care. I read your column everyday and watch you on the evening news with Bret. You always are clear, concise and right on point. Fox is very lucky to have such an intelligent man. Thank you for giving us your time and commentary.

5. John Jensen
    Posted May 30, 2010 at 6:47 pm | Permalink

I as a Patriot and Vet Just wanted you to know I watch you 100% on Fox and would watch more if I knew where. You are the only Honest Man I know that will tell it like it is. Your faith has given you that so I say Thank God. I know your faith is Jewish. Thank You Charles and Be Blessed.
    A Friend and Patriot. John L. Jensen

6. marie
    Posted January 12, 2010 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

I have admired and respected Charles Krauthammer for quite some time without knowledge of his personal background. The internet has contradictory information on many levels. Paraplegic/quadriplegic; diving accident/car accident; born in USA/Not born in USA; accident when pre-med student/ 1st year med student;etc, the list goes on. None of these “facts” are relevant to my opinion of CK, but how can one ever assign credibility to the Internet….even those who are selective in their sites???

7. Marylin Heffner
    Posted January 8, 2010 at 11:49 am | Permalink

Any clarification on you saying he was confined to a wheelchair after a devasting car accident? I believe it was a diving accident……also he is not completely against stem cell research, he believes it can be done with limits, ie. only on rejected embryos from fertility clinics, and no human cloning.

8. Jack
    Posted November 16, 2009 at 7:28 pm | Permalink

What an interesting and fantastic man to come from such a young age with his injuries and disabilities and achieve the stature and position he has in life. Although only a citizen but with the drive to travel in such a circle higher than most, I so wish that I were far enough up the ladder of success that I could have been to this function to listen to the most interesting man. Learning recently that he had this disabilility after watching him mostly on the FOX news channel(long after the dinner and election)
    much has happened in history since this evening I shall continue to read all I can find on him. What a great American, might he deserve a Nobel Peace Prize ? God bless you Charles for your wisdom and life long ambitions, a fine example of an American

9. pam mitchell
    Posted October 11, 2009 at 7:39 pm | Permalink

I admire, trust, and look forward to Mr. Krauthammer’s spot on Fox News. Having suffered with Lyme Disease for 20 years and many misdiagnoses, my life is worth living because Charle’s helps me to realize that though I can no longer work as a Registered Nurse, I still have my brain and thank the lord a brain aneurism rupture helped to quell the diagnoses of alzheimer’s and als after tests were done by IGenex Lab. The use of many antibiotics over the last five years have given me back my ability to use my arms and legs, sight restored to my right eye and now able to think again. I may have a great deal of physical pain, but the ability to use my brain has been restored. Mr. Krauthammer you are an inspiration to the many!!!

10. DOROTHY BLACKWELL
    Posted October 8, 2009 at 2:03 pm | Permalink

I HAVE ENJOYED EVERY ARTICLE I HAVE READ ON MY COMPUTER CONCERNING CHARLES KRAUTHAMMER AND ALWAYS HAVE FOX NEWS TUNED IN WHEN HE IS A GUEST. THANK YOU DOCTOR FOR ALL THE WONDERFUL JOURNALISM I HAVE ENJOYED THAT YOU HAVE SO DILIGENTLY WRITTEN AND FOR ALL THE INSITE YOU GIVE TO ME ON THE POLITICS OF TODAY.

11. Gail Taylor
    Posted August 22, 2009 at 11:31 am | Permalink

I also know that Mr. Krauthammer was hurt driving off into a swimming pool and hit his head which makes me wonder if you ever spoke to him at all.

12. gertrude randall
    Posted June 17, 2009 at 4:30 pm | Permalink

I WOULD LIKE TO COMMENT ON THIS ARTICLE ON CHARLES KRAUTHAMMER. YOU SAY HE WAS IN A CAR ACCIDENT AND WAS CONFINED TO A WHEELCHAIR. WIKIPEDIA SAYS HE WAS IN A DIVING ACCIDENT AND WAS PARYLAZIED AND CONFINED TO A WHEELCHAIR. HE IS A GOOD MAN, AND I ENJOY HEARING HIM ON THE FOX NETWORK

13. Robert Venema
    Posted June 10, 2009 at 4:18 pm | Permalink

I only write because of the award Dr. Krauthammer won and wanted to find out more about why he is in a wheelchair. To that I thank you for clarifying.
    He’s certainly a humble man but what a great thinker – I’ve never looked forward more every evening to hearing his thoughts on ANY issue being discussed (I’m also disappointed when he’s not there) – 6:41 or so every evening M-F.
    Wow!
    Doctor K – I salute you.
    Robert Venema
    Major USMC (ret.)
    New Bern, NC

14. Ann
    Posted May 15, 2009 at 3:58 pm | Permalink

I enjoyed your commentary very much. You are also a skilled writer. I am a very strong admirer of Mr. Krauthammer. I know he must be a genius….having undergone such a devastating injury and remained IN medical school. That takes more than tenacity. That takes passion. Medical school is very, very demanding.

15. Posted April 12, 2009 at 8:57 am | Permalink

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 1 Thumb down 5

16. Robert L. Seigle
    Posted April 6, 2009 at 4:58 pm | Permalink

Thank you for your penetrating clear heart of the issues. You are truly the protector of the values upon which this great country was spawned. and has thrived. Your clear insight is sorely needed. May you have a long and happy life.

17. Sean
    Posted November 12, 2008 at 12:07 pm | Permalink

Dr. Krauthammer is one of the best political commentators I have ever heard. I have read and listened to him for years, yet never knew of his physical handicap. This makes me admire him all the more.

18. Rita Pyle Davis
    Posted October 17, 2008 at 3:06 am | Permalink

I find Dr. Krauthammer to be one of the most fascinating people on the planet. Thank you for sharing this glimpse of him outside of his journalistic roles.
    Quite simply, a loyal fan,
    Rita Davis

19. Will
    Posted October 1, 2008 at 7:13 am | Permalink

Dr. Krauthammer is a fascinating and compelling thinker. His tone is debate is always measured and his arguments nearly always seem to me to be inarguable. It is difficult to the see other side of any given subject when the man so clearly defines the totality of the issues.

At the very least, I would argue it safe to say the depth of his knowledge and reason are impossible to dismiss as the thoughts of a partisan hack. He is truly among the greatest thinkers of our time.

20. vicky mc vicker
    Posted August 28, 2008 at 7:34 am | Permalink

We are so thankful for men like Charles Krauthammer, I admire his intelligence. It is always interesting to hear his answers on politics.
    Charles, keep up the good work, and thank you.
    vmm

21. KAckermann
    Posted July 4, 2008 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

I disagree about Krauthammer’s stature. He and Lieberman have not done good by Israel in the sense that there is a big backlash against Israel among the American people.
    He has continually shifted his support for what is taking place in Iraq every time the Bush administration shifts its own rational.
    The Bush administration has done Israel no favors. Israel is no better off than in 1999, and one can argue it is actually worse off.
    This sabre rattling over Iran will lead to nothing good. Iran has not aggressively attacked another nation since the USA has existed. One man’s political comments are no reason to inflict suffering on millions, which is what surely will happen if Iran is attacked.
    When a Palestinian can fire a $50-dollar rocket and get a $5 million dollar response guaranteed to create 10 more $50-dollar rockets, then it doesn’t take too much intelligence to see who will win.
    A sea-change in thinking has to be made.

22. Robert J. Avrech
    Posted July 3, 2008 at 9:38 am | Permalink

Ginger:
    Thanks so much for your support, it’s greatly needed and appreciated.

23. Ginger
    Posted July 2, 2008 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

I went on google to find out more information about Charles Krauthammer because I admire his comments on FoxNews. I did notice he had a disability and you clarified that in your article. I never knew he was a medical doctor, what a brilliant accomplished man. I support Israel and yes Netanyahu is the right man to return as a significant power in Israel. I pray America withstands all it’s pressures and our future becomes filled with strength.

24. Robert J. Avrech
    Posted February 6, 2007 at 11:32 am | Permalink

Sue:
    I actually just heard Rudy talking about his pro-lie stance and his answer was extremely compelling. I’m not sure the Evangelicals will buy it, but the gist of it was, for me, a real eye opener.

25. Sue
    Posted February 6, 2007 at 11:15 am | Permalink

Robert J.:
    If you’re right about Rudy, then we deserve what comes next. The Evangelicals and NRA had better understand that they need to put their votes where it will make the BEST use of what this country stands for. Or than that, it’s the tinfoil hatted loons of the left that will take over compeletely and tell you and me how to live, when to live, where to live and if we can live!

26. Robert J. Avrech
    Posted February 5, 2007 at 2:47 pm | Permalink

Sharinlite:
    Regarding Rudy:
    The Evangelical vote is crucial and Rudy is Pro-choice.
    That spells doom.
    He is also anti-NRA.
    In the South and West, that also spells Doom.
    To sum up:
    He has already lost most of the Red States. Unless he does a quick and elegant about-face. Which is not his style.
    IMHO: Mitt Romney is the man.

27. sharinlite
    Posted February 5, 2007 at 1:32 pm | Permalink

Pure envy on my part just thinking about being in the same room! Now I know why he is such a great thinker and speaker: psychiatrist! His disability is exactly the type of example that John McCain simply cannot duplicate. A family member of mine was in the same camp with McCain for a number of years. My family member has managed to maintain a truly warm, giving and loving personality, which, in my opinion, McCain does not portray in any aspect of his public life, the injury to his soul, was too great, I believe.
    Rudy could win, but he must be very tough. Personal problems? What personal problems. Who, that is running doesn’t have worse? It’s anybody’s game at the moment.

28. Posted February 3, 2007 at 3:55 am | Permalink

David:
    Well, the best candidate hasn’t won the presidency since 1956.
    The personal baggage is actually the least of his problems. Abortion will hurt him in the Southern primaries, but he can overcome that. What will nail him is his anti-gun stance… particularly out West. It’s just too much all at once.

29. Posted February 2, 2007 at 11:41 pm | Permalink

Jake,
    Fascinating account. I’ve always wondered how Dr. Krauthammer’s training as a psychiatrist influenced his political view. Suz is certainly right that the world lost a great therapist but gained a great pundit. I have to disagree on one point: If Bill Clinton could overcome his personal baggage, I’d think Rudy could overcome the political baggage you mentioned. At this stage of the game, he’s the only one who looks “presidential” to me.

30. Posted February 2, 2007 at 4:02 am | Permalink

Suz:
    He was a psychiatrist before he got into political writing, and somehow I think the world lost a great therapist.
    Yehudit:
    I just don’t see how Rudy wins the GOP nomination with a pro-gun control, pro-choice, and checkered personal history all rolled into one. Perhaps he could overcome one of those things but not all three in the primary campaign. But I am biased in that I don’t think that any current Republican or Democratic Mayor of NYC could or should ever run for President. The last one who tried was John Lindsay… ’nuff said.

31. Posted February 2, 2007 at 1:53 am | Permalink

Re: 2008 candidates:
    Giuliani. If he gets nominated he’ll win.
    McCain isn’t going to last. He’s too old, the people who don’t like him really don’t like him.
    It’ll be Romney, Rudy, and Newt. Newt won’t last either, too polarizing.

32. Suz
    Posted February 1, 2007 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

Let me correct that….his strength in his disability and the way he does not use those disabilities has increased my admiration for him.

33. Suz
    Posted February 1, 2007 at 3:12 pm | Permalink

Jake, thanks for sharing this amazing evening with us. Dr. Krauthammer has long been a favorite of mine because of his clear, concise, conservative thought….and for his courage to stand for what he believes. His disabilities have made me admire him even more. Thanks again.

34. Posted February 1, 2007 at 12:36 pm | Permalink

Jeremiah:
    Thank you very much. If you really want to be moved… read this piece Krauthammer wrote in honor of his med school mentor when he passed away in 2000. It is a tear-jerker:

35. Posted February 1, 2007 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Thank you for this mitzvah, Jake. Only complete humans can wrap their brain around tragedy as well as comedy. I’m sure the issues raised by the good Doc’s comments will nourish your comic talents, too.
    (I was unaware of his physical hardships, so my respect for him is greater than ever.)

36. Posted February 1, 2007 at 11:38 am | Permalink

MAJ:
    Thanks so much. One thing I left out was Krauthammer’s take on Sadr. He believes we should have killed him in 2003 or 2004, but now he is untouchable. At some point he thinks Maliki will have to ditch Sadr and if he doesn’t, the U.S. must ditch Maliki.

37. MAJ Virgil Hilts
    Posted February 1, 2007 at 11:30 am | Permalink

Jake: Great recounting of what must have been an incredible night. Thanks for sharing.

38. Posted February 1, 2007 at 11:20 am | Permalink

I had to take out a second mortgage just to afford the appetizer.
    Seriously, I happen to have a dear, dear long-time friend who I’m happy to say is a fabulous success in the Hedge Fund world. He is married to another long-time friend of mine so I often get included in events like this that are well above my pay grade.

39. Posted February 1, 2007 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Jake–nice to be included at such an event, huh? Guess you’re one of those top donors… ;)
    I’m sure you managed to hold up your own end of the conversation rather nicely!

40. Posted February 1, 2007 at 10:58 am | Permalink

Tamara:
    It truly was a great evening. I don’t agree with everything Krauthammer says, but most of the things we disagree on do not really matter all that much.
    I took no notes and I had no tape recorder, but his words were still very clear in my head 12 hours later.

41. Posted February 1, 2007 at 10:47 am | Permalink

What a dinner that must have been! Krauthammer remains an intelligent, clear voice in the midst of the general confusion of the day.