And Then There Was Trump

Donald and Ivanka

Donald and Ivanka

When there were seventeen Republicans running to carry the GOPs standard against the Democrats, I supported Carly Fiorino. When Carly suspended her campaign, I shifted to Marco Rubio. When Rubio lost his home state of Florida and dropped out of the race, I supported Ted Cruz.

People kept asking me, what happens if Trump wins the nomination?

I shrugged off the question because I just did not believe the Donald would prevail.

Melania Trump as First Lady? Um, yeah!

Melania Trump as First Lady? Um, yeah!

But he has, and yesterday I received over a dozen emails asking if I will support Trump.

Yes I will.

My reasons are quite simple. I know what Hillary will do as POTUS. There are perhaps as  many as three Supreme Court nominations for the next President. Hillary will appoint far left ideologues.

I have no idea who Donald will appoint, but I’m willing to throw the dice.

A Hillary presidency will be a continuation of Obama. Which means Obamacare grows into a single payer system. Which means that America continues her retreat as a major power on the world’s stage. Which means that Israel will continue to get shafted by an increasingly radical postmodern Democrat party. Which means that government will grow, taxes will increase, and the regulatory state will continue to swallow personal liberty in favor of the chimera of social justice, code for Marxism.

I would vote for anyone but the criminal Hillary or Bernie the Bolshevik.

There is also the Ivanka factor.

When Donald’s daughter married real estate developer Jared Kushner, she went through an Orthodox conversion to Judaism. This is no small feat. Orthodox conversions are a serious matter which involve intensive study of Torah, learning Hebrew, and a solemn commitment to observe the 613 mitzvot. I happen to know that Ivanka frequently shops at Gourmet Glatt where the staff sing her praises. She and her family attended a Passover program in Miami. She was there for the entire eight days. She did not fly off to help her father’s campaign. She observed the holiday exactly as I did. Ivanka is a righteous convert who keeps a kosher home and observes the Sabbath.

Interpolation:

Recently, Karen and I met with one of Trump’s Jewish advisors and speechwriters. I suggested that the Donald should choose Ivanka as his VEEP. The advisor chuckled and allowed that Ivanka would be a great choice but unfortunately she is only 34 years old. A Veep must be 35.

Oh well, perhaps we can look forward to an Ivanka candidacy when she’s of age.

End Interpolation:

With Torah Jews in the family, I can only assume that Donald will be supportive of Israel. I realize this is only a hope, but hey, that’s what politics is all about. With Jewish grandchildren, I also assume that Donald Trump, unlike Obama, Hillary or any Democrat, will stand in opposition to the genocidal Jew-hatred that is the mother’s milk of leftism and the Muslim world.

And, finally, let me confess: I am a shallow Hollywood screenwriter. Thus, the image of Donald’s beautiful wife Melania as first lady is, well, awesome.

This entry was posted in America, Donald Trump, IslamoNazis, Israel, Jew-haters, Jew-hatred, Jewish Holidays, Judaism and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Trackbacks are closed, but you can post a comment.

1. rlertzman
    Posted May 6, 2016 at 7:50 am | Permalink

Robert:
    I interviewed Donald a few times for my book, The Life and Times of Mickey Rooney. He was witty, very bright, gracious and a mench. He wrote praise for the book to use for promotion, however Simon & Schuster decided not to use it (they said he was toxic).

He panders to the red meat of the GOP and their evangelical types. The real Donald Trump is far from the image he portrays as an entertainer.

Your blog is terrific
    Rick Lertzman

• Posted May 6, 2016 at 8:48 am | Permalink

Indeed.
      Thusly, those who voted in the Republican primaries are voting for an Entertainer.
      If this Entertainer were to become President of the United States, would the “real Donald Trump” emerge who would then repudiate the silly stupid things that the Entertainer said? And thereby throw the Entertainer’s supporters into a mad frenzy of rage as they realize that they were simply red meat for Entertainment?
      We live in interesting times.

• kishke
        Posted May 6, 2016 at 10:11 am | Permalink

Ronald Reagan too was disparaged as an “entertainer,” as if that’s all he was. Donald Trump is assuredly not merely an entertainer. Let’s not be silly.

• Posted May 8, 2016 at 9:52 am | Permalink

Through the magic of social media, I have communicated with people who know Trump personally. Neighbors; friends; business associates; family friends; etc.
          And, they ALL, without exception, have said that Donald is a caring, friendly, charitable, rational guy.
          And – I asked the question – so who the hell is this guy that is running for President?
          One personal friend described him as an Entertainer – that this was the public persona that he has been living for well over 25 or 30 years. Others said similar things.
          And, that fits perfectly in who is currently Entertaining us in his run for the Presidency. IMHO – the Entertainer has proven to be a bloviating Fool.

Now, I believe those that have had personal experience with him so, I can only conclude that the “real” Donald Trump has remained hidden.

And – Ronald Reagan was a Professional Actor – not a professional Entertainer.
          He also developed core convictions which he espoused throughout most of his career.
          The reason that he was one of our Greatest Presidents is that he Knew his lines! He could ad lib with ease! He was very, very good at his chosen profession.
          The Donald? Not so much.
          Especially if the “real” Donald is completely different from the Entertainer, as has been suggested by those who know him.

• kishke
            Posted May 8, 2016 at 10:07 am | Permalink

Your argument undermines your argument. If he’s a “caring, friendly, charitable, rational guy,” you should have no problem with him as president. So what if he brings out his entertainer side for the campaign? That’s how you win a campaign.

And Reagan absolutely was an entertainer, an excellent one.

Posted May 6, 2016 at 8:56 am | Permalink

Rick:

Thanks so much for your insight into Trump. Was he friends with Mickey Rooney?

• rlertzman
        Posted May 6, 2016 at 9:00 am | Permalink

Yes Robert. They were friends with Donald since 1978. Donald backed the Will Rogers Follies (with his ex Marla Maples) and found a part for Mickey as Will Roger’s father. He tried to help Mickey with his finances, however, Mickey never listened. He was actually great friends with Mickey (& Jan)

I enjoyed your post on Ava & Mickey’s wedding night!
        Best
        Rick

2. Michael Kennedy
    Posted May 5, 2016 at 6:01 pm | Permalink

I’m with Glenn Reynolds on this one. He has been writing about the collapse of complex societies and we might just have the guy to flip the game board in Trump.

Posted May 5, 2016 at 3:43 am | Permalink

Something to remember about Trump and his success, it’s not him so much as it’s the mass of people behind him that he’s managed to give voice to, however imperfectly. When he is elected (and he will be) the question will be is he leading or is he being driven by this mass?

Posted May 5, 2016 at 1:36 pm | Permalink

What difference does parsing the process make as long as we get what we want.

• sennacherib
        Posted May 5, 2016 at 5:12 pm | Permalink

“What difference does parsing the process make as long as we get what we want.” you’re right Barry.

• pkoning
        Posted May 6, 2016 at 7:34 am | Permalink

The question is who “we” is. With a politician who is driven by others, e.g., by current opinion polls, you never know what you’re going to get. With politicians with a strong ideology, that ideology gives you some ability to predict. For example, with Bernie you know what you’ll get, and you can vote accordingly. With Hillary, not so much. With some other politicians, even less. In the case of Trump, the picture at the moment is a bit confusing, at least in a number of areas.
        By the way, Robert, thank you for the article; it gives a very interesting (and unexpected to me) insight into Ivanka. And since some of the character of the children comes from the parents, it also adds some nuance to Donald.

Posted May 4, 2016 at 10:51 pm | Permalink

I had this exact conversation with a Facebook group an hour ago and came to your analysis. I know what Hillary will do (particularly with the Supreme Court) and I’ll take a question over a certainty.

I am amazed at Trumps victory – over some candidates far more politically experienced and funded ($100 million for the Bush campaign).

To a large part I think he is finally addressing issues important to the middle class and blue collar workers -0 something recently Rep candidates failed IMO.

These are certainly interesting times.

I liked Scott Walker FWIW. Never really warmed to the others.

5. pkoning
    Posted May 4, 2016 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

I understand the reasoning, and I can agree with it to an extent. But not enough to support him. I’ll be voting Libertarian instead.

• kgbudge
      Posted May 5, 2016 at 12:50 pm | Permalink

pkoning, like you, I simply can’t in good conscience vote for a man like Trump. I’m not even convinced he’s the lesser evil. I’ll be finding a third-party or independent candidate I can support.

But given how awful Hillary is, I can’t be too hard on those fellow Republicans who feel they must hold their noses and vote for him.

• kishke
      Posted May 5, 2016 at 1:33 pm | Permalink

Voting for these third-party candidates is pointless. Might as well stay home and take a nap.

• kgbudge
        Posted May 5, 2016 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

Not entirely pointless, kishke. If you stay home and take a nap, you’re apathetic. Who cares what you think? Who’s going to try to court your vote when you may not vote anyway?

But if you actually take the trouble to go vote, but refuse to vote for the offal nominated by the two major parties, there’s some hope a candidate will come forward in the next electio who is willing to court your vote.

Posted May 5, 2016 at 7:48 pm | Permalink

There never has been. And they weren’t much better than what is coming up now.

• pkoning
        Posted May 6, 2016 at 7:39 am | Permalink

The “pointless” argument is an old one. The question is what voting accomplishes.
        The answer is that voting may accomplish several things. One is the obvious: it elects a particular candidate. The other is not so obvious: it influences the policies of other parties by scaring them.
        A case in point of the second effect: as I understand it, Norman Thomas, the Socialist Party head in the early 1900s, never got more than about 2% of the vote for president. But his influence sufficiently scared the Democratic party that it send them significantly leftward, where they remain to this day. Similarly, another party with a well defined ideology (such as the Libertarian party — but not, say, the likes of Ross Perot) can also influence the big two. As Neil Smith put it, if the Libertarian Party never elects anyone, but by its presence steers the Republican Party towards respect for liberty and limited government, that would be a good outcome.

• kishke
          Posted May 6, 2016 at 10:03 am | Permalink

If anything, voting Libertarian will take votes away from Trump and cause the election to go to Hillary. But of course, the same will be accomplished by staying home and taking a nap. In other words, this is not an election to be wasted in sending messages that will never be heard. As awful as you might consider Trump to be (I don’t share that view), he is light years better than Clinton.

• kgbudge
            Posted May 6, 2016 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

I think it really comes down to the question: Is Trump likely to be suffiiciently better than Clinton to be worth the damage the election would do to conservatism?

It’s not possible, with a candidate as unpredictable as Trump, to give any certain answer. It’s a matter judgment. I can’t fault other conservatives for reaching a different conclusion.

• kishke
              Posted May 8, 2016 at 9:04 am | Permalink

Disagree. What’s best for the country comes before what’s best for conservatism.

6. Posted May 4, 2016 at 10:40 am | Permalink

Well, I am a tad less circumspect in my support.
    I will definitely support the Bloviating Fool over the Maniacal Destructor.
    I know Hillary’s history and, it is not good.
    The Donald has proven that he will be whatever he feels like on any particular day… Which makes him a bit of an unknown.
    However, mostly I will vote for him because I believe that Hashem Chooses Kings and Controls the Hearts of Kings.
    G-d has brought us to the point where a man like the Donald can be the Republican nominee, and I am fascinated by the idea that G-d might Choose him to be President.
    I sincerely believe that this might be the absolute worst thing or the absolute best thing that can happen to America.
    I just don’t which it is – a curse or a blessing?

(Although, I suspect the the Donald’s Foolish Followers might end up tearing this country apart when he cannot deliver on his foolish promises.)
    I don’t know.
    Time to make Aliyah…?

7. Posted May 4, 2016 at 10:13 am | Permalink

Yup… I agree with your analysis, Robert. I wouldn’t have put Donald Trump on my list of top 10,000 candidates for President in 2016, but when compared to Hillary and Bernie, he seems the least objectionable!

• GetThereJustAsSoon
      Posted May 5, 2016 at 5:21 pm | Permalink

“The true rule, in determining to embrace, or reject any thing, is not whether it have any evil in it; but whether it have more evil, than of good. There are few things wholly evil, or wholly good. Almost every thing, especially of government policy, is an inseparable compound of the two; so that our best judgment of the preponderance between them is continually demanded.” ― Abraham Lincoln

Ole’ Abe sure had some astute observations. In this case, when comparing Trump and the other side, I’d say that there is not only more “good” with Trump, there is also greater potential for some outcomes that are the same.

Even so, I’ll continue my pondering of the matter …

• GetThereJustAsSoon
        Posted May 5, 2016 at 5:39 pm | Permalink

Don’t know how to edit my comment. I certainly don’t think Trump is “god.” The word ought to be “good.”