Close Encounter Of A Breitbart Kind

Karen and I attended this 2011 Republican Jewish Coalition dinner in Beverly Hills where Andrew delivered a barn-burner of a speech.

There was no teleprompter. Andrew had no notes. He just got up on the stage and shmoozed with the audience. This talk is notable because Andrew identifies his Conservative awakening with a Reform rabbi so dopey, so liberal, that he delivered a pulpit speech in support of race-hustler Jesse Jackson in the immediate aftermath of Jackson’s ghastly Hymietown comment.

YouTube Preview Image

After the speech, Andrew and I chatted for a few minutes. Graciously, Andrew thanked me for my contributions to Big Hollywood. And once again he talked about his plans to start Big Jerusalem, a website devoted to supporting Israel and unmasking the bias and Jew-hatred that infects the mainstream media. I told Andrew that I looked forward to writing for such an important endeavour.

I was amazed that Andrew took so much time to talk with me when there were important politicians and high-rollers waiting to have a word with him. Andrew smiled and laughed and seemed to have all the time in the world as he joked with me about the oh-so-tolerant Hollywood liberals who routinely make common cause with butchers like Castro, Chavez, and Ahmadinejad.

As Karen and I drove home I remember thinking to myself what a shame it was that our late son Ariel, a huge admirer of Dennis Prager, Larry Elder and Hugh Hewitt, never had the chance to meet Andrew.

But now, too soon, that encounter will take place.

Baruch Dayan Emet. Blessed be the true judge.

Karen and I wish all our friends and relatives a meaningful Shabbat.

This entry was posted in Andrew Breitbart, Remembering Ariel, Republican Jewish Coalition and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Robert J. Avrech
    Posted March 4, 2012 at 9:40 am | Permalink

Bill:

Love that quote.

2. LukeHandCool
    Posted March 2, 2012 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

Robert,

Thanks for sharing about your experiences with Andrew.

I never met Andrew, but I feel like I knew him. I knew his father, Gerry. I remember as a kid going to Gerry’s Fox & Hounds restaurant … and then years later when my dad opened a store a block away, Gerry Breitbart became one of our customers. Always polite and cheerful, a good man.

Every time I saw Andrew on TV or heard him on the radio (usually Dennis Miller’s show, which Andrew often guest hosted when Dennis was on vacation), because of his last name, I always thought of Gerry Breitbart, not realizing Gerry was actually Andrew’s father … until I read a piece on Andrew in Newsweek that mentioned Andrew had a restauranteur for a father who owned a steak house in Santa Monica.

I also feel like I knew Andrew because, like him, I grew up on the Westside and was a bit of a slacker in school. And, also like Andrew, I gradually questioned my liberal beliefs and the Democratic Party and eventually abandoned both. (As did everyone in our family … independently … we all came to the conclusion without discussion between us that the Democratic Party had lost its mind.)

I’d say for an adopted kid who was born ethnically Irish, Gerry and his wife sure did a good job of raising a “nice Jewish boy.” My heart goes out to Andrew’s family.

Do you know if Gerry Breitbart is still alive?

I see that the Daily Kos crowd is trying to get the freaks from the Westboro Baptist Church to protest at his funeral. What animals. No class.

If I hear that may be happening I have to be there to help keep them away from trying to ruin the funeral of the father of those four kids saying goodbye to their dad … no way can that be allowed to happen.

As you said, Andrew is with Ariel now … and they’re probably having some great conversations!

Take care and hope you and yours are doing well,

Tom

Posted March 4, 2012 at 9:35 am | Permalink

Luke Hand Cool:

The oh-so-tolerant left are dancing on Andrew’s grave because he was soeffective in exposing and explaining their destructive world-view.

3. gbrendle
    Posted March 2, 2012 at 1:04 pm | Permalink

Thank you for your words about Andrew Breitbart.  I have been as saddened by his passing as anyone I can ever remember whom I did not personally know.

Thank you for your work Robert, I enjoy your blog very much. (Even as an evangelical Christian.)

Regards,
    Gray Brendle

Posted March 4, 2012 at 9:38 am | Permalink

gbrendle:

Karen and I and scores of other observant Jews cherish our Christian friends. Your support makes us feel that we are not completely alone in a hate-filled world.

Do stay in touch.

4. exdemexlib
    Posted March 2, 2012 at 10:53 am | Permalink

He had the makings of a great leader who would uphold Jewish values and defend Jews against the hateful slander and leftist  anti-zionism .

It seems to be an amazing conicidence, that he left this world for the world of Truth, on the same day as Moshe Rabbeinu (the Biblical ‘Moses’), on the 7th of Adar, and will forever share a common Yohrtziet with him.

Boruch Dayan Ha-Emes.

n.b.
    (does he have children who can say Kaddish?
    If not, please post, and I’ll arrange it through Chabad in perpetuity. )

Posted March 2, 2012 at 9:23 am | Permalink

I am envious of anyone that met and talked to Breitbart. Red Eye did a great tribute show to him last night with so many great stories. He was so full of life he lived a couple of lifetimes in his too short 43 years.

He will be missed by all of his fans but especially by his wife and children. Let’s all keep them in our thoughts and prayers.

Posted March 4, 2012 at 9:40 am | Permalink

Johnny:

I missed the Red Eye tribute. I’ll find it online. BTW, Andrew’s book, Righteous INdignation is really fasntastic. karen and I read it over Shabbos. Everyone should order a copy and help out his family financially.

Posted March 2, 2012 at 8:20 am | Permalink

To me he succinctly cut to the heart of what I see is the problem with the MSM and their moral relativism.

To the journalism teachers who teach moral relativism and “objectivity” -

“You cannot be objective on matters of right and wrong”

Equally effective to the truth of Andrew’s focus was his sense of humor.

I will have to reread his book.

One Trackback

• By הובלות דירות on March 9, 2012 at 2:28 pm

הובלות דירות…

… הובלות דירות – ראשית, עליכם לוודא כי הצעות מחיר ריאליות ולבחור בחברת ההובלות. הובלה בתנאים הובלות דירות, העברת חפצים יקרי ערך וכל פרט בסיסי אחר כמו הימצאותה של בבניין. באתר no problem הובלות ד… Close Encounter Of A Breitbart Kind ……