Offspring #2, her wonderful husband, and our granddaughter Ma’ayan Ariel are with us for Succot. For the past two days I’ve been spending almost ever minute of the day with Ma’ayan Ariel. She is, as my son-in-law says, “A happy pill.”
Ma’ayan smiles as she tumbles, snuggles and wriggles on our bed.
Looking pensive, Ma’ayan and I are screening King Vidor’s The Big Parade, 1925. Silent movies are the perfect entertainment for children, the ravishing images are simply hypnotic.
Happiness is an Oreo cookie. Instructions for eating: separate outside layers, gleefully lick frosting, devour chocolate, gulp down cool glass of milk. Repeat until package is empty or stomach really hurts. Photo by Son-in-law #1.
In the Casa Avrech Succah, Ma’ayan reaches for the fruit. The joy of the upcoming holiday is expressed on Ma’ayan’s lovely face. Photo by Offspring#2.
Karen and I and our entire family wish all our friends and relatives a lovely Shabbat and a joyous Succot.
Hey kiddies, welcome to Obamalympics!
Top 10 Reasons Chicago Didn’t Get the Olympics
by Michael C. Kingsley
10. Dead people can’t vote at IOC meetings.
9. Obama distracted by 25 min meeting with Gen. McChrystal
8. Who cares if Obama couldn’t talk the IOC into Chicago? He’ll be able to talk Iran out of nukes.
7. The impediment is Israel still building settlements.
6. Obviously no president would have been able to accomplish it.
5. We’ve been quite clear and said all along that we didn’t want the Olympics.
4. This isn’t about the number of Olympics “lost”, it’s about the number of Olympics “saved” or “created”.
3. Clearly not enough wise Latina judges on the committee.
2. Because the IOC is racist.
1. It’s George Bush’s fault.
H/T Jake Novak