Friday Photos: True Hollywood Confessions

“I find it so boring to talk about myself. I don’t remember the last time I did an interview. Somebody came to my house and I thought I’d never get rid of him. That sort of cooled me off.”
—Irene Dunne (1898 – 1990)

Ford Maddox Brown
The Last of England
Oil-on-panel
82.5 cm × 75 cm (32 in × 29 in)
Fitzwilliam Museum,
Cambridge, England

Peter Breck in Shock Corridor, 1962, screenplay by Sam Fuller b. Rabinovitch 1912-1997.

Max Ernst. Two Children Are Threatened by a Nightingale (Deux enfants sont menáces par un rossignol). 1924. Oil on wood with painted wood elements and frame. 27 1/2 x 22 1/2 x 4 1/2″ (69.8 x 57.1 x 11.4 cm). The Museum of Modern Art, New York.

Poster for the Czech release of Belle de Jour, 1967

Brigitte Bardot walking the streets of Capri, Italy, during the filming of Contempt, 1963.

Tanaka Tatsuya
Miniature Calendar

1936 Cord 810 “Armchair” Beverly Sedan

“Some people are addicts. If they don’t act, they don’t exist.”
—Jeanne Moreau RIP 1928 – 2017

Henry Raeburn
The Reverend Robert Walker
Skating on Duddingston Loch
AKA The Skating Minister
1790s
oil on canvas
30 in × 25 in
Location National Gallery of Scotland

British Vogue, November 1954. Photo by Norman Parkinson

Jerry Schatzberg
Faye Dunaway, 1967

Costume Designer Theodora Van Runkle’s sketch for one of Faye Dunaway’s memorable outfits in Bonnie and Clyde, 1967.

1933 Pierce-Arrow, Silver Arrow

Poster for the Czech release of Cabaret, 1972

Rick McGinnis
Actress Sandra Oh, Toronto, March 1995, ten years before landing her breakout role in Grey’s Anatomy.

Tanaka Tatsuya
Miniature Calendar

Howard Russell Butler, Solar Eclipse, 1925
oil on canvas
Courtesy of Princeton University, gift of H. Russell Butler Jr..

“It happened to me only once before, the day I met Bill Crosby for the first time. I had seen ‘Roman Holiday’ and was frightened to death of the prospect of meeting such a great artist as Ms. Hepburn. And then, all of a sudden, we were being introduced! I wanted to tell her how much I enjoyed her work in the picture; instead, I was so nervous I couldn’t talk. I actually stumbled – and then I fell out of the door of her dressing room!”
– Rosemary Clooney on meeting Audrey Hepburn for the first time.

Repose
John White Alexander (American, Allegheny, Pennsylvania 1856–1915 New York)
1895
Oil on canvas
Dimensions: 52 1/4 x 63 5/8 in. (132.7 x 161.6 cm)

James Stewart editing home movies, 1938

Maternal Caress
Mary Cassatt (American, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 1844–1926 Le Mesnil-Théribus, Oise)
Date: 1890–91
Drypoint, aquatint and softground etching, printed in color from three plates; sixth state of six (Mathews & Shapiro)
Dimensions: plate: 14 3/8 x 10 9/16 in. (36.5 x 26.8 cm)
sheet: 17 1/4 x 11 15/16 in. (43.8 x 30.3 cm)

Rita Hayworth and her daughter Rebecca, 1945

Tanaka Tatsuya
Miniature Calendar

Poster for the Czech release of The Terminator, 1984

Lia in a veiled hat with feathers by Jacques Fath in a 1952 photo by Georges Dambier for the French fashion magazine Arachnée.

1941 Indian, Model 441

Jewish revolt against Rome, 66 – 70 AD. Masada-period! Minted and circulated during the time of Josephus and the siege at Masada. Judaea, First Revolt, Bronze Prutah. Year 2 = 67-68 AD. Two handled amphora, ancient Hebrew inscription “Year Two” / Vine leaf on small branch, “The Freedom of Zion” in Hebrew.

Pinchas Tzvi wishes all our friends and relatives a happy and peaceful Shabbat.

This entry was posted in Art, Brigitte Bardot, Costume Design, Faye Dunaway, Friday Fotos, Hollywood, Hollywood Stars, Hollywood Still Photography, Irene Dunne, Israel, Judaica, Movie Posters, Painting, Photography, Quotes, Rita Hayworth and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Trackbacks are closed, but you can post a comment.

1. Michael Kennedy
    Posted August 18, 2017 at 5:45 pm | Permalink

I liked Sandra Oh in “Sideways.” Not a favorite movie but two good actors. Her and Thomas Haden Church.

• Bill Brandt
      Posted August 18, 2017 at 11:32 pm | Permalink

It sure didn’t put middle aged men in a good light 😉

Posted August 18, 2017 at 4:14 pm | Permalink

Robert – I think you are a gearhead! Or perhaps most likely one who appreciates the design of cars of the 1930s. Some time ago I had a company that did customer follow up for garages and on on series of cars I had a renowned automotive artist do some water colors of some 30s cars – I will try and dig these up for you.

On Audrey Hepburn, From everyone I heard she was a very kind and down-to-earth person who was a delight on the set – no prima donna she. However it is nice to hear of other stars who like Rosemary Clooney were also down to earth and human.

The Cord – I want to say that was the first FWD car but I think there was one in the early 1900s! Other than much improved metallurgy and electronics not much new. The Duesenberg even was a 4 valve/cylinder DOHC.

Improved manufacturing processes just made this technology far more affordable.

On BB, never will forget the story you wrote of her meeting Churchill in Nice or Monaco –

• Michael Kennedy
      Posted August 18, 2017 at 5:41 pm | Permalink

I’ve read that Humphrey Bogart was very upset at her lateness and difficulty remembering her lines. In spite of that, it is a favorite movie and the chemistry between them is a big part of it. I have trouble seeing her in love with Holden although they had an affair.

• Bill Brandt
        Posted August 18, 2017 at 5:44 pm | Permalink

Michael if you want a wonderful view of Audrey Hepburn there is a book by her son Sean on how she was as a person. I think in the Hollywood universe she was exceptional.

I have learned more about Hollywood through Robert’s website. Can you imagine the frustration of doing your best reciting some lines and doing take after take after take, e.g., working with Marilyn Monroe.

I don’t think I would have the temperament for it.

Hadn’t heard that about Audrey, but I am in a very small universe.

Posted August 18, 2017 at 7:36 am | Permalink

Irene Dunne could do nothing wrong on screen. Comedy, drama and sang like the angels. And looked good doing it. At least she made old bones. Wish she could have lived forever, and in a way she has done.

4. Wein1950
    Posted August 18, 2017 at 4:48 am | Permalink

Pinchas Zvi: “Tomorrow,… tomorrow,… I’ll love you tomorrow, …..
    it’s only a daaayy aawaaaaaay!”