Friday Photos: True Hollywood Confessions

“I don’t like my voice. I don’t like the way I look. I don’t like the way I move. I don’t like the way I act… I, along with the critics, have never taken myself very seriously. ”
—Elizabeth Taylor

John Godsalve by Hans Holbein the Younger c.1532-4 Royal Collection Trust

Walker Evans (1903-1975)
License Photo Studio, New York
1934
Gelatin silver print
27.9 x 21.6 cm (image: 18.3 x 14.4 cm)
The J. Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles
© Walker Evans Archive, The Metropolitan Museum of Art
Photo: © The J. Paul Getty Museum, Los Angeles

Poster for the French release of Mysterious Island, 1929

Jean Harlow, 1930s

Evelyn Tripp models a Christian Dior gown for a photo by Erwin Blumenfeld, Paris, 1949

Tatsuya Tanaka
Miniature Calendar

“Acting is like sex: you either do it and don’t talk about it, or you talk about it and don’t do it. That’s why I’m always suspicious of people who talk too much about either.”
—Humphrey Bogart

Jean Honoré Fragonard, Young Girl Reading, c. 1769, oil on canvas,
National Gallery of Art, Washington

Anna May Wong, 1930s

Poster for the French release of Notorious, 1946

Cher, 1959. Arrested at age 13 for stealing her mother’s car.

Rick McGinnis
Castle Ward manor house, County Down, Ireland, April 2017

Tatsuya Tanaka
Miniature Calendar

Psychedelic Guitar Mezuzah case is created by artist Ric von Neumann.
Dimensions (approx.): 5″ X 2″
Materials: Copper, Brass, Sterling Silver, Pine, Ebony,
Made in Algonquin Park, Canada

“The only difference between me and my fellow actors is that I’ve spent more time in jail.”
—Robert Mitchum

Max Ernst. The Hat Makes the Man (C’est le chapeau qui fait l’homme). 1920. Gouache, pencil, oil, and ink on cut‑and‑pasted printed paper on paper. 13 7/8 x 17 3/4″ (35.2 x 45.1 cm). The Museum of Modern Art, New York.

Walker Evans (1903-1975)
Houses and Billboards in Atlanta
1936
Gelatin silver print
16.5 x 23.2 cm
The Museum of Modern Art, New York
© Walker Evans Archive, The Metropolitan Museum of Art
Photo: © 2016. Digital Image, The Museum of Modern Art, New York / Scala, Florence

1935 Bugatti, Type 57S Aérolithe

Brigitte Bardot, 1960s

Poster for the French release of The Grand Illusion, 1937

Max Siebel,
Dante, 1998

Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy gazing at the sky during the solar eclipse of August 31, 1932.

Tatsuya Tanaka
Miniature Calendar

Rosh HaShanah Post Card from 1910 in Yiddish printed by Williamsburg Art Co.

Ariel Chaim wishes all our friends and relatives a lovely and inspirational Shabbat.

This entry was posted in Actors, Anna May Wong, Art, Brigitte Bardot, Friday Fotos, Hollywood Stars, Hollywood Still Photography, Jean Harlow, Judaica, Judaism, Movie Posters, Movies, Painting, Photography, Quotes, True Hollywood Confessions, Vintage Cars and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Trackbacks are closed, but you can post a comment.

Posted August 28, 2017 at 5:46 am | Permalink

I was thinking that the “John Godsalve” above looked familiar then it dawned on me Holbein did him and Thomas Moore and the poses are very similar.

2. kishke
    Posted August 27, 2017 at 8:27 am | Permalink

The steeple in the background of the Rosh Hashanah card is most incongruous, as is the New England village setting in general.

Great atmospheric photo by McGinnis.

Posted September 1, 2017 at 12:22 am | Permalink

Kishke:
      Ys, you are right, but to me, those whacky details are innocent and charming.

Posted August 26, 2017 at 1:31 am | Permalink

“If we could see ourselves as others see us”

I was first astounded in your write up some time ago about Marilyn Monroe – and how ugly she thought she was. Thought one nostril was bigger than the other and would spend hours in front of a mirror obsessing about it.

Now whenever I see a MM poster I first turn to her nostrils. She looks OK to me 🙂

For Elizabeth Taylor – wouldn’t you call her one of the last of the true Hollywood Royalty? good grief – she thought she was mediocre? Producers and Directors and ultimately the public didn’t.

My mother and I talk a lot – and when she worked at Bullocks Wilshire in the late 40s the stories she had about meeting some of Hollywood stars – met a young Elizabeth Taylor and said the first think you noticed were the eyes.

Saw It happened One Night at the Theater last week – digitally remaster – and my mother said that she met Claudette Colbert – said the was very nice and down to earth –

Humphrey Bogart had it right 🙂

The photo by Rick Maginnis reminds me of the Paul Newman movie set in Ireland – or was it Steve McQueen – dang, you are going to make me, at 01:28, scour imdb 😉

The MacKintosh man?

Good night, all

4. Michael Kennedy
    Posted August 25, 2017 at 2:30 pm | Permalink

Elizabeth Taylor was never again as beautiful as she was in “A Place in the Sun.” I was in college when it came around in a sort of revival about 1957. We went to see it about 20 times and my friends all identified with Montgomery Clift, not because we were poor factory workers but because he had won her and lost her.

Posted August 25, 2017 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Regarding Elizabeth Taylor. Her comment was most intelligent. Audiences respond, contrary to popular opinion, to warmth and brightness, empathy, not appearance. Most good actors do not like seeing themselves.

6. Posted August 25, 2017 at 6:06 am | Permalink

I love the grittiness and details of the Walker Evans photos…

and the BB photo ain’t bad either! 🙂