Early Friday Photos: True Hollywood Confessions

Because Rosh Hashanah begins tonight, then turns into Shabbat, and I do not blog on Jewish holidays, I am publishing Friday Photos early.

“I’ve always believed that acting is instinct to start with; you either have it or you don’t.” —Claudette Colbert

William Merritt Chase
My Palette
ca. 1870-1880
oil on canvas

Richard Avedon
Julie Christie, for “Vogue” magazine 1971

Girl in a White Kimono, by George Hendrik Breitner
1894
Oil on canvas
59 cm × 57 cm (23 in × 22 in)
Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam

Norman Parkinson
Fan Dress, Harper’s Bazaar, 1938

Edward Steichen, Marlene Dietrich, 1931

Michel de Klerk
Skichair
1918
Rijksmuseum

“Usually, I just play myself. Whatever psychological traumas or conflicts I’m going through at the time I try to put into the role. Sometimes it’s quite a feat to pull off, but sometimes it works. If it doesn’t correspond to the dilemmas of the character, then I don’t do the film.”
—Harry Dean Stanton, 1926-2017

Eye of Maria Miles Heyward, painted by Edward Greene Malbone, c. 1802.
“Eye miniatures, also known as lover’s eyes, were a subgenre of jewelry that became the height of fashion in the Georgian era.” Full story here.

Photo by Martin Munkacsi, 1934

Hilma af Klint, ‘Staggering’: The Ten Largest, Youth, 1907

Richard Avedon
Carmen Dell’Orefice
Coat by Cardin, Place François-Premier, Paris, August 1957

Rick McGinnis
Hamilton, ON, August 2017

Steve McQueen in his Jaguar, 1963

Randall Model 19 Bushmaster
Top cutting edge sharpened approximately 2-1/2″. 4-1/4″-5/8″ leather handle.
Brass hilt. Duralumin butt cap. Designed by a professional woodsman for all-around camp and big game hunting purposes.
Randall Made Knives has an extended delivery time.
Orders are limited to one knife per household every three months.
Orders received now are being scheduled for shipment in approximately 5 years, year 2022.

“I was Betty Bacall always. And Lauren was [director] Howard Hawks. He felt that Lauren Bacall was better sounding than Betty Bacall. He had a vision of his own. He was a Svengali. He wanted to mold me. He wanted to control me. And he did until Mr. Bogart got involved.”
—Lauren Bacall (b. Betty Jane Persky)

Claude Monet
Le Train dans la neige. La Locomotive
1875
oil on canvas
Musée Marmottan Monet, Paris

Peter Basch
Brigitte Bardot
1957 camera negative

Hilma af Klint, Svanen, 1915

Greta Garbo photographed by Edward Steichen, 1929

Tatsuya Tanaka
Miniature Calendar

Asked Freud: “What do women want?” Poor clueless Sigmund. Women want shoes. In honor of Rosh Hashanah it’s tradition to purchase a new article of clothing to help usher in the Jewish New Year. For the lady of the house we vote for these classic Pucci pumps.

Vintage Rosh Hashanah card.

Pinchas Tzvi and Ariel Chaim wish all our friends and relatives a Shana Tova Um’tukah, a happy and sweet New Year.  In observance of Rosh Hashanah and Shabbat Seraphic Secret will be offline until Monday.

This entry was posted in Art, Brigitte Bardot, Claudette Colbert, Friday Fashion, Friday Footwear, Friday Fotos, Hollywood, Hollywood Stars, Hollywood Still Photography, Lauren Bacall, Painting, Photography, Quotes, Rosh Hashanah, True Hollywood Confessions and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Trackbacks are closed, but you can post a comment.

1. Michael Kennedy
    Posted September 21, 2017 at 8:29 am | Permalink

None of the obituaries of Stanton I’ve seen mention his role in “Red Dawn.” That seems to be still unmentionable in leftist circles.

Howard Hawks had more in mind for Betty Bacall than “Molding ” her. His wife’s name was “Slim” and he chose that name for her character in “To Have and Have Not.” Then Bogart appeared and he was out maneuvered.

Posted September 20, 2017 at 11:19 am | Permalink

I occasionally blog to a WordPress site and I’ll bet I know what happened. (is there a prize for the winner? 😉 ) You made this before and scheduled it but hit Wed instead of Friday? But then the comment area seems a but kerfuffled.

In any event that Jag McQueen has is most rare – an XK-SS – a road going version of the D-Type. Only 20 or so were made until a fire broke out and severely damaged the factory. (and for the real trivia buffs the race car known as the Lister-Jaguar was, I believe, a 3rd party’s effort to build the D-Type with Jaguar’s tacit approval. Jaguar for awhile was dead in the water.

I think to her friends she was known as Betty until the day she died.

Rick – nice colors and lines – a good photographer sees beauty in things most people just pass by

3. Posted September 20, 2017 at 11:08 am | Permalink

Friday or not, I always get a thrill seeing one of my photos next to Richard Avedon.
    Rick McGinnis recently posted..Film FestivalMy Profile

• DrCarol
      Posted September 28, 2017 at 5:24 pm | Permalink

I get a kick out of seeing Rick’s photos of my neck of the woods (Western NY and Ontario, CA).

Posted October 2, 2017 at 4:55 am | Permalink

Rick is a brilliant photographer and I’m proud to say, a cherished friend.

Posted October 2, 2017 at 4:58 am | Permalink

Every time I post one of your photos, my wife, Karen, says: “He is brilliant.”

4. Posted September 20, 2017 at 4:05 am | Permalink

Have a Happy New Year and a wonderful Sabbath, Robert!

Posted September 20, 2017 at 4:02 am | Permalink

Alright, I know you Jewish guys do things on different days than us Irish (and Assyrians), but isn’t this Wednesday?

Posted September 20, 2017 at 6:20 am | Permalink

That’s what I thought too.

• GetThereJustAsSoon
      Posted September 20, 2017 at 6:05 pm | Permalink

Click on the link provided, Rosh Hashanah, and you will see that the two day celebration of the Jewish Year 5778 is from sunset September 20, 2017 through nightfall September 22, 2017. As Mr. Avrech stated, this turns into Shabbat which, of course, does not end until nightfall on Saturday, 09/03. Thus, three days of observance.

I wish all a blessed New Year and Shabbat.