Friday Photos: True Hollywood Confessions

“Last night I was awake all night again. Sometimes I wonder what the nighttime is for. It almost doesn’t exist for me—it all seems like one long, long horrible day.”
—Marilyn Monroe, Letter to her psychiatrist, Dr. Ralph Greenson, 1961

No, you have not fallen into a time warp. It is Wednesday. So: why Friday Photos today? The celebration of Succos starts tonight and continues into Shabbat. And because Orthodox Jews (that’s us) do not use electronics during these holidays you get Friday Photos early. We hope you enjoy this edition.

Oval Plate; Bernard Palissy, (French, about 1510 – 1590); mid-16th century; Lead-glazed earthenware; 6.2 × 33 × 25.3 cm (2 7/16 × 13 × 9 15/16 in.)

Horst P. Horst
Veruschka Von Lehndorff, 1965

Élisabeth Louise Vigée-Le Brun
Self Portrait in a Straw Hat, after 1782
The National Gallery, London

Ginger Rogers in Follow the Fleet, 1936
Screenplay by Allan Scott, Dwight Taylor, Lew Lipton (add’l dialogue)
Based on Shore Leave, 1922 play by Hubert Osborne

Alternative movie poster for The Birds by Laurent Durieux

Myrna Loy signing autographs for fans in San Diego on the set of the woefully underrated Test Pilot, 1938.

Tatsuya Tanaka
Miniature Calendar

“Yes, there was something special about me, and I knew what it was. I was the kind of girl people expect to find dead in a hall bedroom with an empty bottle of sleeping pills in her hand.”
—Marilyn Monroe

Bernard Palissy, 1570-90.
Lead-glazed earthenware
© Victoria and Albert Museum, London

Horst P. Horst
Study in Ivory
Advertisement for Saks, 1982
Silver Gelatin Print
36 x 28 cm
© Horst Estate

Élisabeth Louise Vigée-Le Brun
Self-Portrait with her Daughter, Julie, 1786
RMN Grand Palais

Alternative movie poster for Notorious by Claudia Varosio

Cary Grant signs autographs for some young fans while filming Charade in France, 1963

Morgan 4-4-80th Anniversary Edition

“Sometimes I feel like a has-been who never was.”
—Sandra Dee, Newark Evening News, 1967

Bernard Palissy, 1550.
Detail of lead-glazed earthenware dish

Horst P. Horst
Frans Molenaar Couture, 1950

‘Self Portrait’, Elisabeth Louise Vigée le Brun, 1789, Uffizi, Florence

Brigitte Bardot signing autographs at the Cannes Film Festival, 1955

1870s-era Tiffany Colt pistol, beautifully engraved and sporting cast bronze grips. The engraving is by well-known 19th century master firearms engraver Louis Daniel Nimschke.

Alternative movie poster for Psycho by Ian Coupland

Karen decorates the Succah.

Livia wishes all our friends and relatives a happy Succos and an inspirational Shabbat.

This entry was posted in Art, Brigitte Bardot, Cary Grant, Family, Friday Fotos, Hollywood, Hollywood Stars, Hollywood Still Photography, Jewish Holidays, Judaism, Movie Posters, Movies, Myrna Loy, Photography, Quotes, Sandra Dee, Succos, True Hollywood Confessions, Wisdom of Hollywood Screenwriters and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Trackbacks are closed, but you can post a comment.

1. Michael Kennedy
    Posted October 8, 2017 at 6:58 am | Permalink

Greenson’s son was a medical school classmate. He said Marilyn called his father all the time.
    Including the night she died.

2. Posted October 5, 2017 at 10:58 am | Permalink

Such a striking photo of Sandra Dee. I would never have expected it. Which I suppose says a lot about the quote below it.
    Rick McGinnis recently posted..MontrealMy Profile

3. pigpen51
    Posted October 4, 2017 at 4:53 pm | Permalink

Robert, I have always felt a certain attraction to Brigitte Bardot. Aside from her obvious physical attractions, which were certainly enough to fuel many a teenage boys dreams, there is just a kind of luminous quality that fills her face when ever I have seen pictures of her. I am a child of the sixties, you might say, born in the summer of 1960, and so of course could never have had the chance to meet her in her youth, but if given the chance, I would have been tempted to travel the world to follow her, just to see her smile and to hear her voice. Of course, there are many others that are like her, with her inner glow, the sense of self worth, or maybe that playfulness, I don’t know the word I seek. But while I just celebrated my 25th wedding anniversary with my wife, and I love her with all my heart, I still have a place in the corner for Brigitte. Not as a love interest, that is only for my wife. But as perhaps a place to put a cherished object, like a favorite song, or your first dance, or your first kiss. Thank you for this website. I can come here and not see obscene pictures, but beautiful women who inspire. Let me wish you a belated happy Yom Kippur, I am not Jewish, but I follow the Zelman Partisans closely, and often comment there as Pigpen51. Sheila and I have fun discussions. I learn much from her. I recently wrote to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Israel, expressing my hope that they could release Elor Azariya. I have often written to them, showing my complete support for the nation of Israel, and even telling them that I would stand with her the same as if they got into a shooting war, just like my own country America. The nation of Israel is the home of the Jews, G-d’s chosen people, and I am a Christian, so I follow G-d, and find it not hard to support His people. I found it difficult to express anything except total dedication to Israel, and felt bad to intrude in her internal politics, and told them so, but I felt that it was such an important issue, that it was needed. Because it is a signal that the leaders are abandoning some of the things that make Israel strong, in favor of safety. As America has been learning, giving up a little freedom in exchange for safety means that you will be neither safe nor free.

I am so sorry to have rambled for so long like this, but sometimes your family and you are on my heart and my mind, and I have to express my concern for your safety and your wellbeing. Please have a wonderful new year, and may all your relationships be blessed. May your troubles be little and may your blessings be large. Shalom, from Tim in Michigan.

• kishke
      Posted October 9, 2017 at 7:40 am | Permalink

Agree with you on Elor Azaria. The same should be done to every one of these disgusting murderers.

4. Posted October 4, 2017 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

Another excellent post — with both Myrna (looking every bit the star and not so much the girl-next-door) and BB!

Beautiful artwork, a beautiful pistol, an awesome car, and a granddaughter!

Have a blessed holiday and Sabbath!

5. GetThereJustAsSoon
    Posted October 4, 2017 at 11:09 am | Permalink

Oh, how I would like to take to the wheel of the Morgan.

May you have a blessed and joyous “Season of our Rejoicing”!