Friday Photos: True Hollywood Confessions

“She didn’t want to be famous. She wanted to be happy.”
—Clark Gable on Jean Harlow

Bartolomé Esteban Murillo
Spanish, 1617 – 1682
Two Women at a Window
c. 1655/1660
oil on canvas
overall: 125.1 x 104.5 cm (49 1/4 x 41 1/8 in.)
framed: 182.3 x 160.3 cm (71 3/4 x 63 1/8 in.)

François Kollar (1904 – 1979)
Advertising for the Hermes typewriter, 1930
Vintage silver gelatin photograph
30.1 x 23.7 cm.

Robert Klippel (Australia, 1920-2001)
‘Boomerang’ coffee table
1955

Rita Hayworth in her dressing room, circa 1941.

‘Evening News’ (1914) by Francis Luis Mora; oil on canvas, James A. Michener Art Museum, Doylestown, PA.

David Moore (1927-2003)
Sisters of Charity
1956
Silver gelatin print
40.5 × 27.1 cm
Private collection

Photo by Erwin Blumenfeld, 1952

“Beauty does not come with creams and lotions and all those silly things. It comes with good digestion, moderation in eating, a discipline in life… Beauty comes from the inside out. Creams are a waste of money if you don’t take care of your health.”
—Dolores Del Rio

Charles Sheeler (1883-1965)
White Sentinels, 1942. Tempera on board. 15 x 22 in (38.1 x 55.9 cm).

Horst P.Horst
Bunny Hartley
Vogue, 1938
© Conde Nast / Horst Estate

1937 Peugeot Cabriolet

Audrey Hepburn by Richard Avedon by Harper’s Bazaar, 1961

Montblanc Lorenzo de’ Medici Fountain Pen, 1992, Limited Edition of 4,810; eight-sided 925 sterling silver barrel, 18-karat gold nib

“That’s all I wanted–death, cool, restful death, and oblivion. I would leave behind me my poor, feeble attempt at the story of my life.”
—Alma Rubens (1897-1931) shortly before passing away at age 33 from bronchial complications stemming from her drug addiction.

Grant Wood, Daughters of Revolution, 1932. Oil on composition board, 20 x 40 in. (50.8 x 101.6 cm). Cincinnati Art Museum

Hermann Landshoff
On the roof of Saks Fifth Avenue Building, New York, 1942

Annie Laurie (Peggy Cummins) to Bart (John Dall) Gun Crazy, 1950
Screenplay by Dalton Trumbo, MacKinlay Kantor
Based on “Gun Crazy” 1940 story in The Saturday Evening Post
by MacKinlay Kantor

Nicolas de Staël (French, 1914–1955)
Still Life, 1955
oil on canvas
18.1 x 21.6 in.

Myrna Loy in a 1959 test for From the Terrace

Yiddish poster for U.S. War Bonds

Pinchas Tzvi wishes all our friends and relatives a wonderful and inspirational Shabbat.

Ed Ruscha, END, 1983, oil on canvas, 36 x 40 inches

This entry was posted in Design, Hollywood, Hollywood Stars, Hollywood Still Photography, Jean Harlow, Painting, Photography, Quotes, Rita Hayworth, Screenwriting and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Trackbacks are closed, but you can post a comment.

1. Posted January 26, 2018 at 7:16 pm | Permalink

No post since last Friday…? Hoping all is well in the Avrech household.

• sennacherib
      Posted January 27, 2018 at 4:14 am | Permalink

“No post since last Friday…? Hoping all is well in the Avrech household.”
      My thoughts as well.

Posted January 27, 2018 at 8:45 am | Permalink

Thinking along a similar line.

• GetThereJustAsSoon
      Posted January 27, 2018 at 10:05 am | Permalink

My thoughts and prayers join those of yours and others.

Posted January 19, 2018 at 4:27 pm | Permalink

Those ads crack me up!

On the benefits of Speed years ago when I was in the Army I was friends with this ex-Green Beret who was in Vietnam.

He said that the Army used to issue them these pills (probably still do – when it is life and death).

Anyway I never will forget a story he told of literally running for their lives for 24 hours with a North Vietnamese Battalion chasing his 7 man team.

Said he had a picture of himself (not from that particular mission) but as skinny as a rail with bug eyes.

3. alterbentzion
    Posted January 19, 2018 at 11:02 am | Permalink

Pinchas Tzvi looks like he’s a bit concerned about those pill-popping, chain-smoking mothers and housewives. 🙂

When are you going to pay us a visit and check out that Grant Wood for yourself?

A good, fortifying (smoke-free!) Shabbos to all.

Posted January 19, 2018 at 11:11 am | Permalink

I took the pic of Pinchas Tzvi just as he got off the plane from NY to LA. He was exhausted. I really should come to see you and Grant Wood.

4. Posted January 19, 2018 at 3:38 am | Permalink

I really like that “Evening News” painting. I wonder if it’s available as a poster somewhere?

And that photo of Myrna Loy is interesting; at first I thought she was being photographed without makeup, but when I read a plot summary of the movie, I realized she was supposed to be an alcoholic, so the rough look fitted the character.