Friday Photos: True Hollywood Confessions

“The boy's got a lot to learn and I've got a lot to teach.” —Barbara Stanwyck when first meeting future husband Robert Taylor.

“The boy’s got a lot to learn and I’ve got a lot to teach.”
—Barbara Stanwyck upon first meeting Robert Taylor.

Tom Hunter, A Woman Asleep, 1997. C-print. 122 x 152 cm. Edition of five.

Tom Hunter, A Woman Asleep, 1997. C-print. 122 x 152 cm. Edition of five.

Jan Vermeer, A Girl Asleep, 1657.

Jan Vermeer, A Girl Asleep, 1657

Francesca Woodman, House, Providence Rhode Island, 1976

Francesca Woodman, House, Providence Rhode Island, 1976

Diego Velázquez, Portrait of the eight-year-old Infanta Margarita Teresa in a Blue Dress ,1659.

Diego Velázquez, Portrait of the eight-year-old Infanta Margarita Teresa in a Blue Dress, 1659.

Erwin Olaf. Girl, 2013.

Erwin Olaf, Girl, 2013.

“Mr. Hitchcock taught me everything about cinema. It was thanks to him that I understood that murder scenes should be shot like love scenes and love scenes like murder scenes.” —Grace Kelly

—Grace Kelly

Theresa Vickova, A Perfect Day, Elise, 2007

Theresa Vickova, A Perfect Day, Elise, 2007

Maurizio Anzeri Rita 2011 Embroidery on photograph 23.5 x 17.5 cm

Maurizio Anzeri, Rita, Embroidery on found photograph, 23.5 x 17.5 cm, 2011.

John McLaughlin, #V, oil on canvas 48 x 32 inch / 122 x 81 cm, 1958.

John McLaughlin, #V, oil on canvas 48 x 32 inch / 122 x 81 cm, 1958.

Harry Callahan, Morocco, 1981.

Harry Callahan, Morocco, 1981.

Sean Scully, Catherine, 2007

Sean Scully, Catherine, 2007

Robert J. Avrech, Los Angeles, 2009.

Robert J. Avrech, Los Angeles, 2009.

“Men are beasts and even beasts don't behave as they do.” —Brigitte Bardot

“Men are beasts and even beasts don’t behave as they do.”
—Brigitte Bardot

Lucas Cranach the Elder, Lucas Cranach the Elder (1472–1553) Link back to Creator infobox template wikidata:Q191748 TitlePortrait of a young woman Date between 1525 and 1535 Medium oil on lime Dimensions Height: 37 cm (14.6 in). Width: 25 cm (9.8 in).

Lucas Cranach the Elder (1472–1553), Portrait of a Young Woman, painted between 1525 and 1535, oil on linen, Height: 37 cm (14.6 in). Width: 25 cm (9.8 in).

Jean Honore Fragonard, The Love Letter, 1770.

Jean Honore Fragonard, The Love Letter, 1770.

François Boucher, Marquise de Pompadour, 1756.

François Boucher, Marquise de Pompadour, 1756.

Robert J. Avrech, Los Angeles, 2004.

Robert J. Avrech, Los Angeles, 2004.

“My departure from Hollywood was described as a walk-out. No one understood that I was cracking up.” —Gene Tierney

—Gene Tierney

James Whistler, Arrangement in Grey and Black No. 1, Alternative title: Portrait of the Artist's Mother, 1871.

James Whistler, Arrangement in Grey and Black No. 1, Alternative title: Portrait of the Artist’s Mother, 1871.

Erwin Olaf, Waiting, Shenzhen, 2014.

Erwin Olaf, Waiting, Shenzhen, 2014.

August Sander, Dora, 1926.

August Sander, Dora, 1926.

Billy Monk, The Catacombs, 1968.

Billy Monk, The Catacombs, 1968.

“Every man I knew went to bed with Gilda... and woke up with me.” —Rita Hayworth

“Every man I knew went to bed with Gilda… and woke up with me.”
—Rita Hayworth

Poster, Gilda, 1946, designed by Boris GrInsson.

Poster, Gilda, 1946, designed by Boris GrInsson.

Vicenzo Catena, Judith, 1520.

Vicenzo Catena, Judith, 1520.

Albert Pinkham Ryder, The Old Mill By Moonlight, Completion in 1885.

Albert Pinkham Ryder, The Old Mill By Moonlight, completed in 1885.

Mark Rothko, Untitled, 1957-63.

Mark Rothko, Untitled, 1957-63.

Tobi Kahn, Ahma, acrylic on wood, 2008.

Tobi Kahn, Ahma, acrylic on wood, 2008.

James Nares, Tjarda-Nesian Swirl.

James Nares, Tjarda-Nesian Swirl.

Ariel Chaim wishes all our friends and relatives a lovely and inspirational Shabbat.

fin

This entry was posted in Art, Barbara Stanwyck, Brigitte Bardot, Hollywood, Hollywood Stars, Hollywood Still Photography, Painting, Quotes, True Hollywood Confessions and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Trackbacks are closed, but you can post a comment.

1. Stoutcat
    Posted October 12, 2015 at 8:26 am | Permalink

What? No Edward Hopper this week? Intriguing selections, as usual, although I’m not terribly enamored of the Anzeri piece.

Thanks for … well, for everything you’re doing here. I read and enjoy, but don’t generally comment.

Posted October 12, 2015 at 9:49 am | Permalink

Stoutcat:

I was giving Hopper a rest. He’ll be back. And thanks so much for your kind words.

2. Larry
    Posted October 9, 2015 at 3:18 pm | Permalink

Found the BB photo fascinating in that all those photographers crowd around to the point of stepping on each other, but the one who gets the best shot stands out from the crowd. Isn’t that always the way.

3. Pearl
    Posted October 9, 2015 at 10:10 am | Permalink

I was so surprised to see that the August Sander, Dora, photo was taken in the late twenties. I was sure it was some contemporary fashion model in a fashion spread.
    Such a timeless piece. And that photo of Grace Kelly? Such a natural beauty.

Ariel Chaim is the best model…as are the other three mini girlses you often feature in your Friday photo sequences.

Good Shabbos.

Posted October 9, 2015 at 10:41 am | Permalink

Pearl:

Yes, the Dora photo is amazing. The camera loves Ariel Chaim. Have a good Shabbos.

4. Michael Kennedy
    Posted October 9, 2015 at 5:43 am | Permalink

My mother told me the story that Tierney was OK until a WAC sergeant snuck out of the hospital in North Africa where she was confined with rubella to meet the star and transmitted the virus to the pregnant actress. Her psychological problems followed the birth of her rubella syndrome baby. I don’t know if it is true.

She was on a USO tour to entertain troops.

• Bill Brandt
      Posted October 9, 2015 at 8:43 am | Permalink

I had forgotten that Michael and I’ll bet there is a lot of truth to it

Posted October 9, 2015 at 10:23 am | Permalink

Tierney was almost certainly bipolar. Her child’s tragic condition was not the cause of her mental illness.

• Larry
      Posted October 9, 2015 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

Yes, that’s the story I read long ago, too. Tierney met the woman, a Marine, at a USO canteen who told her the story of how she broke rubella quarantine two years earlier — while Tierney was pregnant on the USO tour — just to meet Tierney. Tierney could not speak. Agatha Christie used the incident in her Marple novel, The Mirror Crack’d From Side to Side.

Posted October 9, 2015 at 2:03 am | Permalink

Wonderful pictures as usual Robert. I also noticed your nocturnal habits seem as nuts as mine. You have to wonder what the girl was doing in that decrepit house. Some of the best photos are as artwork – didn’t I learn here that they were pieces of time?

The thought I had with the other BB was that while she may have thought of men as beasts she also tried to bring that out in them to promote her stardom – in that photo she does seem to enjoy the attention.

With Gene Tierney I suspect that if you were a star – unless you had your feet on the ground – Hollywood would make you nuts!

Good night all.

Posted October 9, 2015 at 8:07 am | Permalink

Why would a generic Hollywood be responsible for anyone’s mental health — or lack of it.

Posted October 9, 2015 at 10:24 am | Permalink

Bill:
      Thanks so much. I’ve been having trouble sleeping lately.