Friday Photos: True Hollywood Confessions

“The bad girls were so much fun to play… The critics always said I acted best with a gun in my hand.”
—Audrey Totter

Maurice Denis (1870-1943)
The Muses
1893
Oil on canvas
H. 171.5; W. 137.5 cm
© RMN-Grand Palais (Musée d’Orsay)

After winning the Miss Dallas beauty pageant of 1926, Joan Blondell (1906-1973) came to Hollywood where she signed a contract with Warner Bros. During the precode 1930s Blondell was, along with her friend and frequent co-star Glenda Farrell, the archetype of the sexy, wisecracking blonde.

Ida Ten Eyck O’Keeffe, “Creation” (date unknown).
Ida was Georgia O’Keeffe’s younger sister. Story here.

“King Ahasuerus and Queen Esther.” From Images from the Life (the Norman Album), by Julia Margaret Cameron, c.1864-1869

Dovima
Silk Dress by Christian Dior
Photo by Henry Clarke 1956

Michèle Morgan, (1920-2016) photo by Ernest Bachrach, 1940.  Upon the German invasion of France in 1940, Morgan left for Hollywood where she signed a contract with RKO Pictures in 1941. Her career there was disappointing. She returned to France after the war.

J.N. Shapiro Infinity Watch is $26,000 in gold. This is one of the few watch brands from California. jnshapirowatches.com

“I always felt so much more comfortable in the Western. The minute I got a horse and a hat and a pair of boots on, I felt easier. I didn’t feel like I was an actor anymore. I felt like I was the guy out there doing it.”
—Joel McCrea

“Reading Girl” (1828) by Gustav Adolph Hennig; Museum of Fine Arts, Leipzig

Marilyn Monroe photographed by Joseph Jasgur, 1946

Eugène Delacroix, Young Orphan Girl in the Cemetery (1824). Musée du Louvre, Paris. © RMN-Grand Palais (musée du Louvre)

Ballerina Tanaquil Le Clercq dancing in George Balanchine’s La Valse, 1951, photo by Gjon Mili.

Francisca Sutil, “Mute II #9” (2015), oil on canvas, 74.02 x 51.97 inches, photo Tomas Rodriguez Works (courtesy of the artist and Nohra Haime Gallery)

Bill Brandt, The Queen Elizabeth, 1946

Bugatti Type 55 Roadster, 1931

“At MGM, I always played the second feminine lead. I was never the star in films. I was the brassy, good-hearted showgirl. I never really had my big moment on the screen.”
—Ann Miller

‘Portrait of the Artist’s Wife’ (1909) by August Macke; Westphalian State Museum of Art and Cultural History, Münster

Myrna Loy, Jean Harlow, and William Powell arrive in San Francisco to film After the Thin Man, 1936. Harlow is not in the film, Powell and Harlow were dating at the time. Harlow has “Gone With the Wind” tucked in her arm.

Italian poster for The Left Handed Gun, 1958

Rick McGinnis
Sheraton, Lima, Peru, 2003

Havdalah Set
by Ori Resheff,
Israel
Accession #: 1993.041
Gift of Robert and Karen Avrech to the Mina K. Avrech Memorial Collection of Judaica, Yeshiva University Museum.

Livia Yarden wishes all our friends and relatives a lovely and inspirational Shabbat.

Ed Ruscha, The End, 2003

This entry was posted in America, Ann Miller, Art, Art Deco, Audrey Totter, Automobiles, Dovima, Hollywood, Hollywood Stars, Hollywood Still Photography, Jean Harlow, Joan Blondell, Judaica, Judaism, Movie Posters, Movies, Myrna Loy, Photography, Rick McGinnis, William Powell and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Trackbacks are closed, but you can post a comment.

1. Michael Kennedy
    Posted June 2, 2018 at 10:44 am | Permalink

Jean Harlow’s face looks puffy to me in the 1936 photo. She died in 1937 of renal failure, untreatable until the 1950s. I wonder if her renal status was already failing in 1936. Earlier photos seem to me to show her face thinner.

2. Posted June 1, 2018 at 1:07 pm | Permalink

Another fascinating Friday Photos edition, Robert.

You have captured Myrna Loy in yet another shot I haven’t seen before. William Powell is with his “movie love” and his “true love”. I don’t think he ever completely recovered from Jean’s untimely death.

I , too, love the timeless elegance of the Bugatti, but the rims should have been wire spoke… or real spokes, or something cooler than what it has on it!

I like the watch, and the fact that the designer is a history major/school principal, but the price tag means I will have to ask Santa to bring it to me…

Joan Blondell — I remember her as the older “wisecracking blonde” from Grease, but when I researched her a few years ago, I was mildly stunned at the raciness of her photos and characters. According to this site (https://news.warnerarchive.com/all-about-joan-blondell-12878ac6a68d) she won the Miss Dallas beauty contest at age 17 and was raped about a year later — this revelation didn’t come out until decades later in her memoirs.

Have a wonderful weekend!

• Posted June 1, 2018 at 1:10 pm | Permalink

Correction — the “Warner Archives” site said she was 17 in 1926… but even they cited her birth year as 1906 and the contest as 1926, so…

Posted June 1, 2018 at 7:20 am | Permalink

Joan Blondell is not ‘exactly’ a blonde in that shot. Oh, and the Billy The Kid poster may be overly dramatic, as is the film, but much more compelling.

Posted June 1, 2018 at 1:03 am | Permalink

Rick – you take some interesting pictures!

I had never heard of Dovima until you brought her out Robert –

Bugatti seem to have a timeless elegance

BTW if you have Netflix streaming there are 2 shows I liked – Bombshell (thanks Larry) – a documentary on Hedy Lemar – she should have been remembered more as an inventor than a movie star! – and an Israeli produced series on a counter-terrorism unit – Fauda

• Posted June 1, 2018 at 8:18 pm | Permalink

Thank you, Bill.

Neither the Lamarr nor the Fauda docs have made it to Netflix up here in Canada yet – another one of those silly, arbitrary examples of mere geography’s persistent influence in the “borderless” digital age.
      Rick McGinnis recently posted..Salman RushdieMy Profile