Friday Photos: True Hollywood Confessions

“The older I get, the more I believe in what I can't explain or understand, even more than the things that are explainable and understandable.” —Lillian Gish

“The older I get, the more I believe in what I can’t explain or understand, even more than the things that are explainable and understandable.”
—Lillian Gish

Pavel Wolberg, Kiriyat -Shmona, 2006 C- Print 23.5 x 35.5 in | 60 x 90 cm Edition of 5

Pavel Wolberg, “Kiriyat Shmona,” 2006 C- Print 23.5 x 35.5 in | 60 x 90 cm Edition of 5

Artemisia Gentileschi 'Judith and her Maidservant', 1613-14

Artemisia Gentileschi “Judith and her Maidservant,” 1613-14

Vilhelm Hammershøi (1864–1916) “Interior with Young Woman from Behind” 1904, oil on canvas, 60.5 × 50.5 cm (23.8 × 19.9 in)

Barnett Newman, Concord, 1949 Oil and masking tape on canvas, 228 x 136.2 cm

Barnett Newman, Concord, 1949
Oil and masking tape on canvas, 228 x 136.2 cm

Elliot Erwitt, Showgirls, Las Vegas, Nevada 1957

Elliot Erwitt, “Showgirls”, Las Vegas, Nevada 1957

Theodore Chassériau, “The Two Sisters,” 1843, oil on canvas 71 X 53

Theodore Chassériau, “The Two Sisters,” 1843, oil on canvas 71 X 53

Ulyana Sergeenko Haute Couture, 2015

Ulyana Sergeenko Haute Couture, 2015

“The split second she ceases to care is the only time a woman ceases to be attractive.” —Loretta Young

—Loretta Young

Comtesse Regnault de Saint-Jean d'Angély, née Laure de Boneuil; by Gérard François Pascal Simon, c. 1798, oil on wood,

Comtesse Regnault de Saint-Jean d’Angély, née Laure de Boneuil; by Gérard François Pascal Simon, c. 1798, oil on wood.

Louise Fishman, “Nishmat,” Oil on linen 85 x 60 in, 1988

Louise Fishman, “Nishmat,” Oil on linen 85 x 60 in, 1988

Mark Tansey, The Key, oil on canvas, 1984.

Mark Tansey, “The Key” oil on canvas, 1984.

Robert Therrien, No Title, painted wood

Robert J. Avrech, Los Angeles Location, 2013

Robert J. Avrech, “Los Angeles Location Scout,” 2000

Tobi Kahn, “Mysha,” acrylic on canvas

Tobi Kahn, “Mysha,” acrylic on canvas

Francesca Woodman, Untitled, New-York, 1979-80

Francesca Woodman, “Untitled, New York,” 1979-80

“Darling, the legs aren't so beautiful, I just know what to do with them.” —Marlene Dietrich

“Darling, the legs aren’t so beautiful, I just know what to do with them.”
—Marlene Dietrich

John Singer Sargent, “Madame X” (Madame Pierre Gautreau), 1884

John Singer Sargent, “Madame X” (Madame Pierre Gautreau), 1884

Cindy Sherman, Untitled Film Still #35 1979 gelatin silver print 10 x 8 in. (25.4 x 20.32 cm)

Cindy Sherman, “Untitled Film Still #35,” 1979, gelatin silver print, 10 x 8 in.

Michal Chelbin, Nadia sentenced for narcotics, Women's Prison Ukraine, 2009

Michal Chelbin, “Nadia sentenced for narcotics, Women’s Prison, Ukraine,” 2009

Johannes Vermeer, Girl with a Pearl Earring, oil on canvas, 1665.

Johannes Vermeer, “Girl with a Pearl Earring,” oil on canvas, 46.5 cm by 40 cm, 1670

Photo by Hendrik Kerstens

Hendrik Kerstens, “Red Rabbit IV,” 2009

Poster for the silent classic “Metropolis,” 1927

Poster for the silent classic “Metropolis,” 1927

Wlliam Eggleston, untitled from Los Alamos, '65-'68

Wlliam Eggleston, “Untitled from Los Alamos,” ’65-’68

Clyfford Still PH-1039, 1977 Oil on canvas 113 x 93 in

Clifford Still, “PH-1039,” 1977, Oil on canvas, 113 x 93 in.

“Having a child, that's always been my biggest fear. I want a child and I fear a child.” —Marilyn Monroe Phil Stern photo of MM when she was briefly pregnant

“Having a child, that’s always been my biggest fear. I want a child and I fear a child.”
—Marilyn Monroe
A furtive shot of MM by Phil Stern when she was pregnant, married to Arthur Miller, and before her tragic miscarriage.

Mary Cassatt “The Child's Bath” 1893, oil on canvas, 39½ × 26 in.

Mary Cassatt “The Child’s Bath” 1893, oil on canvas, 39½ × 26 in.

Ronan Goldman, Reoccurring Dream

Ronan Goldman, “Reoccurring Dream”

Daniel Bauer, Untitled Photograph (Purim), 2010 Chromogenic Color Print 31.5 x 35.5 in | 80 x 90 cm Edition of 5

Daniel Bauer, “Untitled Photograph (Purim),” 2010 Chromogenic Color Print 31.5 x 35.5 in | 80 x 90 cm Edition of 5

Eugène Delacroix, “Orphan Girl at the Cemetery,” 1824

Eugène Delacroix, “Orphan Girl at the Cemetery,” 1824

Erwin Olaf, “Keyhole Portrait,” 2011

Erwin Olaf, “Keyhole Portrait,” 2011

Blue d'Arcueil (SFP60-3), 1960 Acrylic on linen 38 3/4 x 51 1/2 inches 98.4 x 130.8 cm

Sam Francis, “Blue d’Arcueil”, 1960, Acrylic on linen, 38 3/4 x 51 1/2 inches

Mayan Ariel and Lielle Meital wish all our friends and relatives a sweet and inspirational Shabbat.

Maayan Ariel and Lielle Meital wish all our friends and relatives a sweet and inspirational Shabbat.

Ed Ruscha, THE END #40 2003

Ed Ruscha, THE END #40 2003

This entry was posted in Art, Hollywood, Hollywood Stars, Hollywood Still Photography, Painting, Photography, True Hollywood Confessions and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Trackbacks are closed, but you can post a comment.

1. pigpen51
    Posted November 20, 2015 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

just a short note of support for your site. I am not a great one to tell you about art, just a common ordinary working class guy. However, your taste shows that you care about your audience. As I said , I know little about art, but I was able to find so much inspiration, not only in the paintings, but also in the photos.
    Great artists, great eye for bringing out what they were trying to express. I loved almost every one. Some I am afraid, were over my head, so to speak, but art doesn’t always connect with everyone.
    As far as Israel goes, I have written 2 times to the Israeli ministry, once 5 or 6 years ago and again just recently, pledging my support and my sorrow at the lack of leadership on the part of America in standing with Israel and her right to exist. I am sometimes naïve in doing things like this, but it can’t hurt to let people know that some of us here still care, even if it seems like everyone has turned their back on the only ally in the middle east we can count on.
    Thank you for a great web site and thank you for your support of Israel. Many do not dare to stand up for her, for some reason. Let us hope that soon becomes a thing of the past. Shalom.

Posted November 22, 2015 at 9:22 am | Permalink

Thanks so much for the kind note.

2. Kimosabbe
    Posted November 20, 2015 at 4:39 pm | Permalink

Too much good stuff to comment on! I must say though, I have yet to see a photograph of yours that I haven’t really, really liked. Speaking of photos, that “Showgirls” pic is really cool too.

3. kgbudge
    Posted November 17, 2015 at 12:10 pm | Permalink

The Nares painting and the Penn photo: Brilliant juxtaposition.

Posted November 17, 2015 at 1:24 pm | Permalink

budge:

Thanks so much.

• kgbudge
        Posted November 19, 2015 at 9:01 am | Permalink

The Los Alamos photo intrigues me. I was living in Los Alamos in 1968 (as I am now) but I was six at the time. Still, that looks like it was taken in the Hill Diner. Which, sadly, closed recently.

Posted November 14, 2015 at 12:29 pm | Permalink

The way Gish is holding that shotgun looks like a fish holding a fly rod.

Posted November 13, 2015 at 8:19 am | Permalink

You sure find some interesting pictures Robert! I like Showgirls and you can just feel the tension in the interaction in The Key.

Who is this Nadia from the Ukraine? Some photographer took an interest in her – I have seen different photos of her over the weeks.

Most photogenic drug dealer? 😉

• Posted November 13, 2015 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

I thought the same thing, Bill, but last week (or two weeks ago?) Robert had another Chelbin photo of Natalia, who was in a Russian prison for stabbing someone. I thought it was the same subject when I first saw this week’s photo.

Michal Chelbin apparently likes to photograph prisoners, kids and circus folk. She has a unique eye which illuminates the subtle innocence, and the terrifying brutality, of people. Some of her photos are… disturbing.

6. Posted November 13, 2015 at 6:59 am | Permalink

Ach du meine Güte! Olga is a Picasso? I am stunned…

I visited http://www.pablopicasso.org and looked through his works (which omits this work, Olga. Why?) I was surprised that there were several pieces which I liked. One in particular caught my eye… The Roaster (1938). So now I must reverse my earlier comment (that I had never seen a Picaso I wanted). I like the Mediterranean Landscape, Don Quixote, Le Lecture, the 2 Harlequin paintings and the bull fighting paintings, but I love The Roaster. Now if I only had a few million dollars of disposable income lying around…

If your readers would like create their own Picasso, you can create your own Picasso Head at http://www.picassohead.com/create.html — but beware, if you save it, it will be posted in their Gallery and even though I saved it almost a half hour ago, they have NOT (as promised) sent me a link via email to retrieve my creation.

By the way, I am still enthralled with Nares. His colors, his strokes… genius!

• Posted November 13, 2015 at 7:09 am | Permalink

After revisiting the site, I see now that they don’t actually email you the “painting” at PicassoHead, they send you a link via email (which I never did receive…)