Friday Photos: True Hollywood Confessions

Greta Garbo on the set of Flesh and the Devil (1926)
“I am always nervous and restless when I am making a picture. I cannot help it. That is why I never want people to see me while I am acting. I do not let people on the set. And I stay by myself all I can while I am making a picture. I sit in one corner alone, or go to my dressing room, or I walk outside by myself while the others are working.
I cannot stand it for someone to come up and say, ‘What did you think of the football game?’ as they do here in America. I cannot get back on the track. I cannot do my best work then. It is the same with every picture – I tremble always, all over.”
—Greta Garbo, in 1928 Photoplay interview

John Brewster Jr. (1766-1854)
Lucy Knapp Mygatt and Her Son George, 1799
Oil on canvas

Uncredited Photographer, Wołpa Synagogue, Near Bialystok, Built c.1700, Destroyed by the Nazis During World War II. The building was made of wood because Jews at that time were forbidden to build in stone. Thus, thousands of ancient and beautiful wooden synagogues were destroyed during WWII, c.1920

Henri Matisse
French window in Collioure, 1914
oil on canvas, 116,5 x 89 m
Centre Georges Pompidou, Musée national d’art moderne

Rick McGinnis
Montana, Beartooth Road, 2016

Pieter Codde, A Lady Seated at a Virginal Holding a Letter, Oil on oak panel, 40.6 x 31.8 cm. Private collection, Boston

Pete Turner, The Quiet American, 1958

“Never say never, for if you live long enough, chances are you will not be able to abide by the simplest of such injunctions.”
—Gloria Swanson

Willem Buytewech
Merry Company, Elegant Couples Courting c. 1616, 1620 Oil on canvas, 56.3 x 70.5 cm. Rijksmuseum, Amsterdam

Bronwyn Oliver (1959 – 2006) Australian
Home of a Curling Bird, 1988
copper and lead
60 × 180 × 2cm

Bedřich Grünzweig, Kennedy Airport, New York City, 1964

Hans Holbein the Younger (1498–1543)
Lady with a Squirrel on a chain, 1526

Erwin Blumenfeld, Untitled, 1955

Wallace Berman
Papas Got a Brand New Bag,
Collage, 1964

Rick McGinnis
Santa Monica Pier, 2008

“I will have one of the cleanest obituaries of any actress. I never did cheesecake like Ann Sheridan or Betty Grable. I just used my hair.”
—Veronica Lake

Gerard ter Borch
Woman at a Mirror, c. 1652
oil on panel, h 34.5cm × w 26cm.

Bookstore in Jewish Quarter, Paris ca. 1920

John Singleton Copley (1738-1815)
Mrs Jerathmael Bowers, 1763
oil on canvas

Rick McGinnis
British actor David Thewlis, Toronto, Dec. 1993

Jean Harlow in Beast of the City (1932)
Harlow as Daisy Stevens: “Are ya gonna to try and reform me?”
Wallace Ford as Detective Ed Fitzpatrick: “What for?”
Story by W.R. Burnett, Screenplay by John Lee Mahin, Ben Hecht (uncredited)

Robert J. Avrech
Stars of LA
2016

Hendrick ter Brugghen, Esau Selling His Birthright c. 1627
Oil on canvas, 106.7 x 138.8 cm. Museo Thyssen-Bornemisza, Madrid

Kim Novak shopping for books, 1956
Photo: LIFE

Clyfford Still
PH-971
1957
oil on canvas
113 1/4 in. x 148 in. x 2 1/4 in. (287.66 cm x 375.92 cm x 5.72 cm)

Maayan Ariel wishes all our friends and relatives a lovely and inspirational Shabbat.

This entry was posted in Art, Family, Fashion, Friday Fotos, Gloria Swanson, Greta Garbo, Hollywood, Hollywood Stars, Hollywood Still Photography, Jean Harlow, Judaica, Judaism, Kim Novak, Photography, Quotes, Screenwriting, True Hollywood Confessions and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Trackbacks are closed, but you can post a comment.

1. kgbudge
    Posted February 6, 2017 at 1:42 pm | Permalink

The Holbein picture reminded me at once of the famous portrait of Sir Thomas More. Sure enough; he was the artist for that one as well.

But the hat on the lady reminds me a little too much of recent fashionable headware in Washington, D.C.

Posted February 4, 2017 at 2:36 am | Permalink

Marion Davies, in her wonderful autobiography, The Times We Had, mention that Greta Garbo quote

And she said that Greta would frequently come onto her set and just stare at her — which was very unnerving

I think Veronica Lake’s hairdo inspired millions of women to imitate her.

3. Michael Kennedy
    Posted February 3, 2017 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

I like Veronica Lake. I am told her career was enhanced, if not created, by her short stature which made her films with Alan Ladd easier to shoot. I don’t think she was the only female star with alcohol or mental problems. I knew Jane Russell pretty well and she had some alcohol issues, at least when she was married to Bob Waterfield. She was a shrewd businesswoman, though.

Posted February 4, 2017 at 5:05 pm | Permalink

Michael —
      People liked Jane Russell. Veronica was actively disliked by cast, crew and studio heads. A formula for disaster which she courted, and snagged, as a kind of awful brass ring.

4. STW
    Posted February 3, 2017 at 9:55 am | Permalink

That Beartooth Road picture is the most unusual one I’ve ever seen from there. It’s considered to be one of the, if not the, most scenic road in the US. Mountains, alpine lakes, long vistas, deep canyons, rivers, waterfalls, it has them all yet McGinnis chose a road cut with a cloudy sky.

Posted February 3, 2017 at 7:56 am | Permalink

Lake’s comment is so incredibly stupid I cannot believe an honest, employable publicist wrote this for her. And all three women, Lake, Sheridan and Grable failed to make old bones.

• serene
      Posted February 3, 2017 at 9:41 am | Permalink

Probably, none did.
      According to Wiki:
      “… Lake had a complex personality and acquired a reputation for being difficult to work with. Eddie Bracken, her co-star in Star Spangled Rhythm …was quoted as saying, “She was known as ‘The Bitch’ and she deserved the title.”Joel McCrea, her co-star in Sullivan’s Travels, reportedly turned down [another] co-starring role…, saying, “Life’s too short for two films with Veronica Lake.”[24] … During filming of The Blue Dahlia (1946), screenwriter Raymond Chandler referred to her as “Moronica Lake”.[25] [end quote]

So maybe she came up with it herself.
      Anyway, that article also says “She also became a popular pin-up girl for soldiers during World War II ….[21]”, contradicting her statement (and “washed up alcoholic” isn’t exactly “the cleanest obituary”). But ultimately, it seems she had a sad life, which seems common to that profession.

PS: Pete Turner, The Quite American, 1958 (Quiet? could make a case either way)

6. serene
    Posted February 3, 2017 at 7:53 am | Permalink

That Holbein is amazing, like a photograph.
    Interesting that in the Yaalov/Esav painting there is a servant in the background; if there had been witnesses to the transaction it might have saved us all a lot of heartache.
    The caption should be, “Kim Novack being sold with books.”
    Now I have to google Wallace Berman: Papa threw his tallis bag overboard at Ellis Island?