Friday Photos: True Hollywood Confessions

“Sometimes I’ll watch an old movie on television and, once in a while, one of mine, such as April Showers (’48) will come on and I’ll watch it. And you know something? I’m always amazed at what a lousy actress I was. I guess in the old days we just got by on glamour.”
—Ann Sothern

Paolo Veronese c. 1560, Portrait of a Venetian Woman (La Belle Nani)

Artist Pablo Picasso in his studio in Vallauris with actress Brigitte Bardot during the 1956 International Cannes Film Festival. (Photo by Jerome Brierre/RDA/Getty Images)

Marilyn Monroe poses in front of Picasso’s “Motherhood”, 1956

Randall model 27 Trailblazer, one of the finest handmade knives available. Stag, Micarta handle. Stainless steel blade is 5.75″. Handcrafted leather sheath with sharpening stone. Collection Robert & Karen Avrech. Note: Orders are limited to one knife per household every three months. Orders received now by Randall are scheduled for shipment in approximately 5 years.

Rick McGinnis
Mickey Rooney, (b. Joseph Yule, Jr. 1920 – 2014)
Toronto 1995

Thomas Nozkowski
Untitled (L-41), 2014
Oil on paper
22 x 30 in

“My life? Well, I get up at a quarter to six in the morning if I’m going to wear an evening dress on camera. That sentence sounds a little ga-ga, doesn’t it? But never mind, that’s my life…As long as they pay me my salary, they can give me a broom and I’ll sweep the stage. I don’t give a damn. I want the money…When I die, I want to be cremated so that no sign of my existence is left on this earth. I can’t wait to be forgotten.”
—Kay Francis

Japanese poster for The African Queen, 1951

Albert Watson
Fanny with Tree Calipers, New York City, 2010

Parmigianino c. 1524
Gian Galeazzo Sanvitale, Count of Fontanellato
Oil on canvas
43 in × 32 in
National Museum of Capodimonte

Brett Weston
Oceano Dunes, California, 1947

Rick McGinnis
Piper Laurie, (b. Rosetta Jacobs, 1932)
Toronto, Sept. 1995

1933 Packard Twelve Stationary Coupe with custom coachwork by Dietrich Inc. Seating for two or four made possible by the rumble seat. A retracting window in the back of the cabin enables conversation.

“I’ve never had a friend in my life who wanted to see a magic trick, you know. I don’t know anybody who wants to see a magic trick. So I do it professionally; it’s the only way I get to perform.
I went once to a birthday party for [MGM boss] Louis B. Mayer with a rabbit in my pocket which I was going to take out of his hat. On came Judy Garland and Danny Kaye and Danny Thomas and everybody you ever heard of and then Al Jolson sang for two hours and my rabbit was peeing all over me, you know. And the dawn was starting to rise over the Hillcrest Country Club as we said goodnight to Louis B. Mayer and nobody’d asked me to do a magic trick. So the rabbit and I went home.”
—Orson Welles, in the 1982 documentary The Orson Welles Story

Gene Tierney, Laura, 1944
Screenplay by Jay Dratler, Samuel Hoffenstein, Betty Reinhardt
Ring Lardner, Jr. (uncredited)
Based on the 1943 novel Laura by Vera Caspary

Pisanello c. 1436-1438 Portrait of a Princess of the House of Este
Year 1435–1449
Tempera on panel
17 in × 12 in
Louvre, Paris

President George W. Bush
Former Army Special Forces Green Beret Michael Rodriguez.
From the Portraits of Courage series

Purim Wall Hanging
19th-20th century
Linen: embroidered with cotton thread
16 15/16 × 12 in.
This wall decoration derives from a Judeo-Persian elaboration of the Book of Esther, which interweaves Jewish tradition with the heroic tradition of Iranian epics. Queen Esther watches as King Ahasueros kills a dragon, symbolic of the evil Haman.
Jewish Museum, New York

Maayan, Livia and Lielle wish all our friends and relatives a patriotic and inspirational Shabbat.

Ed Ruscha, The Absolute End, dry pigment on paper, 1982.

This entry was posted in Ann Sothern, Art, Automobiles, Brigitte Bardot, Family, Hollywood, Hollywood Stars, Hollywood Still Photography, Kay Francis, Movie Posters, Orson Welles, Painting, Photography, Purim, Quotes, True Hollywood Confessions and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Trackbacks are closed, but you can post a comment.

Posted March 4, 2017 at 11:16 am | Permalink

Every picture I have seen of Fred Astaire always has him with a big smile. He always looks so relaxed and carefree. And I read of the hours of grueling rehearsals he always did for a scene.

Ava does look pretty and she does look like Scarlett.

On the Randall knives it seems with such a work of craftsmanship you’d be afraid to actually use it – like a commemorative firearm. Had a neighbor who collected commemorative firearms – and he said that as soon as you fire one the value drops a good deal.

Posted March 10, 2017 at 8:17 am | Permalink

I do not use the Randall knife. It’s a work of art.

2. Michael Kennedy
    Posted March 4, 2017 at 4:57 am | Permalink

“I think Ava Astaire looks like Scarlett Johansson.”

She does. It was sad that her mother died at 46.

3. inthePRofCA
    Posted March 3, 2017 at 11:02 am | Permalink

After his father’s death, Guy Clark made a fine song about his father’s Randall knife. Here he is singing it not long before his own death:

4. Posted March 3, 2017 at 6:50 am | Permalink

Another wonderful Friday lineup, Robert.

– Ann Sothern certainly looks glamorous in that photo.
    – Brigitte Bardot *swoon* (I know she’s your favorite)
    – I love the Randall knife and clicked on the link to see how much it cost… alas, it’s blocked at my office because the web site features “weapons”
    – Mickey Rooney’s eye are very intense.
    – Kay Francis wanted to be forgotten… I wonder what drove that woman.
    – I love the photo of the Oceano Dunes. Nature is incredible.
    – 1933 Packard — now that’s a car!
    – the picture of Fred and Ava Astaire is nice. She looks like someone I know (but I can’t put a finger on it)
    – love the picture of your grandkids 🙂

Have a wonderful weekend!

Posted March 3, 2017 at 9:03 am | Permalink

Regarding Kay Francis,

You have to believe what she is telling you: Money is what drove her.

Posted March 3, 2017 at 12:04 pm | Permalink

I think Ava Astaire looks like Scarlett Johansson.

Have a great weekend.