Friday Photos: True Hollywood Confessions

“I was so tired of the parts I had to play. There seems little for me in Hollywood, because, rather than real Chinese, producers prefer Hungarians, Mexicans, American Indians for Chinese roles.”
—Anna May Wong

David Hockney
Mulholland Drive

Bill Brandt
London, 1937

CMC 1938 Bugatti 57 SC Corsica Roadster Blue 1/18 Limited Edition

Another view of the CMC 1938 Bugatti 57 SC Corsica Roadster Blue 1/18 Limited Edition

Jimmy Stewart, 1938

James Stewart receiving the Lifetime Achievement Award at the 1985 Academy Awards

Rick McGinnis
Jewel Kilcher, Parkdale, March 1995
Jewel can be seen in the Civil War masterpiece, Ride With the Devil, 1999. I write about it here.

Marc Chagall,
Promenade
1917-18. Oil on canvas 175.2 x 168.4 cm. State Russian Museum

“The thing about happiness is that it doesn’t help you to grow; only unhappiness does that. So I’m grateful that my bed of roses was made up equally of blossoms and thorns. I’ve had a privileged, creative, exciting life, and I think that the parts that were less joyous were preparing me, testing me, strengthening me.”
—Lana Turner

Photo by Erwin Blumenfeld

Edward Hopper
Summertime, 1943
Oil on canvas
29 1/8 x 44 inches

Kazimir Malevich,
Peasants c. 1930. Oil on canvas 53 x 70 cm. State Russian Museum St. Petersburg.

“But no, the old Hollywood—and it was a state of mind more than a place… —it can’t come back. Should we even want it to? Didn’t it serve its purpose?”
Joan Crawford when asked, “Do you think the old Hollywood will ever make a comeback?”

Richard Diebenkorn
Urbana#4
1953
Oil on canvas
Dimensions:
66 x 49 in. (167.6 x 124.5 cm)
Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center, Colo.

Alfred Eisenstaedt.
Carole Lombard, 1938

Edward Munch
Self-Portrait with Burning Cigarette, 1895

Rick McGinnis
Hollywood Hills, Los Angeles, Nov. 2016

Mishneh Torah
Attributed to Master of the Barbo Missal (Italian)
Artist: Nehemiah (active northern Italy, mid-15th century)
Date: ca. 1457
Tempera and gold leaf on parchment; leather binding
Binding: 9 7/16 × 8 3/16 × 3 1/4 in. (24 × 20.8 × 8.2 cm) Leaf (of 346 leaves): 8 15/16 × 7 1/4 in. (22.7 × 18.4 cm)

The Mishneh Torah is the magnum opus of Moses Maimonides (Cordova 1135-1204 Egypt), the renowned medieval philosopher. This remarkable text consolidates Jewish law into a systematic, comprehensive and accessible anthology, still consulted by rabbis and scholars today.
This manuscript copy of the Mishneh Torah is one of the most sumptuous ever made. Large illuminations illustrating aspects of the law preface different sections of the book. Law books rarely benefitted from such lavish decoration. With no iconographic precedent to guide him, the painter looked to the world around him. Thus the manuscript provides an opulent guide to contemporary costume, buildings, and customs. With its burnished gold letters and inventive narrative scenes, it attests to the refined aesthetic sensibility of the elite members of Italy’s Jewish community. Source: Metropolitan Museum of Art

Maayan Ariel wishes all our friends and relatives a meaningful Shabbat.

This entry was posted in Anna May Wong, Art, Hollywood, Hollywood Stars, Hollywood Still Photography, Joan Crawford, Lana Turner, Painting, Photography, Quotes, Screenwriting, True Hollywood Confessions and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Trackbacks are closed, but you can post a comment.

Posted March 20, 2017 at 5:35 pm | Permalink

Re: The header photo of Wong. Did you notice how different her eyes are? The pupils, eyelids, everything.
    Robert I had a lot of trouble logging on. I know it’s not you, but Word Press really sucks right now.

Posted March 21, 2017 at 8:16 am | Permalink

And not just Word Press. It appears to be an era of ‘sucking’ as you correctly put it.

2. Michael Kennedy
    Posted March 18, 2017 at 7:00 am | Permalink

A friend of mine collected Bugatties in his pension plan. I think he did very well with them. About 25 years ago, he still had six of them. He was driving one with two of his kids and was hit by another car. The kids were killed.

• Shyla
      Posted March 19, 2017 at 10:33 am | Permalink

A few years ago, my brother bought a classic muscle car, and I took the road trip with him to pick it up. He had me drive it on the return trip, and I have never felt so vulnerable and unsafe. Yes, it would have taken off like a rocket, but I was powerfully aware of the lack of airbags and shoulder harness, so I drove that car like a grandma (he must have beaten me back by two hours). I’ll stick with my Subaru.

Posted March 18, 2017 at 12:49 am | Permalink
  4. Posted March 17, 2017 at 1:55 pm | Permalink

– The Bugatti is extraordinary piece of engineered art (although I’ll probably be able to afford the Morgan we discussed a few years ago before I can afford this!)
    – Jimmy Stewart is one of my all-time favorite actors.
    – Lana Turner was a very smart woman.
    – Cary Grant and Rosiland Russell had a great chemistry on-screen. They remind me of William Powell and Myrna Loy.
    – I love Edward Hopper’s painting… her dress almost appears to be see-through. How on earth does one do that with oil-based pigments??
    – I find the Peasants painting to be moving and yet a little disturbing as well. Love the colors, but the faces…
    – Love your granddaughter’s photo as well. (I remember when I had hair…:-) )

Have a wonderful Sabbath and a Happy Saint Patrick’s Day (in honor of my grandmother, Elizabeth O’Connor)

Posted March 17, 2017 at 9:06 pm | Permalink

All excellent observations. The Lana Turner comment, yours and hers, dead on.

Posted March 17, 2017 at 4:32 am | Permalink

I remember in “Rawhide” one of the herders was a Mexican guy and in the credits his character was listed as Hey Soos.