Friday Photos: True Hollywood Confessions

“Experts always know everything but the fine points. When I took my citizenship exams, no one there knew how the White House came to be called the White House. But I did. So I told them.”
—Hedy Lamarr

Jamie Wyeth
Red Tail Hawk
2013
paint and pencil on paper 15 7/8 x 15 7/8 in.

The Agoraphobic Photographer
Guellaia, Medenine, Tunisia. Photograph by Jacqui Kenny via Google Street View

Édouard Manet (1832-1883)
Before the Mirror, 1876
Oil on canvas
36 1/4 x 28 1/8 inches
Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York, Thannhauser Collection, Gift, Justin K. Thannhauser, 1978

Dolores del Rio about to leave home for the studio in her Franklin. The man holding open the door is not her chauffeur but the beautiful star’s husband, Jaime Martinez del Rio. Their marriage lasted seven years. From 1930 to 1940 del Rio was married to MGMs legendary art designer Cedric Gibbons. After their marriage failed she had an intense affair with Orson Welles. Welles once remarked that he was “incredibly impressed” with del Rio’s lingerie, hand sewn for her by French nuns.

Cy Twombly
Leda and the Swan, 1962, oil, lead pencil and wax crayon on canvas, 6′ 3″ x 6′ 6 3/4″

“I see myself, in the years ahead, directing or producing or both. I see myself developing new talent, which would be furiously interesting for me. For I love talent. Love to watch it. Love to help it. Am more genuinely interested in the talent of others than I am in my own.”
—Ida Lupino, 1945

N.C. Wyeth
Once the Girl Started Through the Yard as Though She Would Rush After Them and Stopped
at the Gate
1930-1931
oil on canvas 34 1/8 x 25 1/4 in.

Sharjah, United Arab Emirates. Photograph by Jacqui Kenny via Google Street View.
The Agoraphobic Photographer

Ralph Bellamy and Rosalind Russell, His Girl Friday, 1940
Screenplay by Charles Lederer, Based on The Front Page, 1928 play by Ben Hecht & Charles MacArthur

Paul Gauguin (1848-1903)
Haere Mai, 1891
Oil on burlap
28 1/2 x 36 inches

Clark Gable and his customized Duesenberg, 1930s.

Alvar Aalto
Tea Trolley (model 98)
1936–1937
Manufacturer: Oy Huonekalu-ja Rakennustyötehdas Ab, Turku, Finland
Laminated birch, linoleum, and rubber
22 x 35 1/2 x 18″

“I love everything I do. I’m immensely interested in and enthusiastic in everything I do, everything. No matter what it is I’m doing, no matter how trivial, it isn’t trivial to me. I give it all I got and love it. I love living. I love life.”
—Carole Lombard (October 6, 1908 – January 16, 1942)

Andrew Wyeth
Binoculars
1981
watercolor and dry brush on paper 21 x 29 in.

Chañaral, Atacama Region, Chile. Photograph by Jacqui Kenny via Google Street View.
The Agoraphobic Photographer

Henri Rousseau (1844-1910)
The Football Players, 1908
Oil on canvas
39 1/2 x 31 5/8 inches Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum, New York

Annette Funicello (1942- 2013) with her ’57 Ford Thunderbird

Errol Flynn (1909-1959) aboard his yacht. Note the Randall Model #3 knife on his hip, 1946.

Rick McGinnis
Brown Street, Belfast, April 2017

Tobi Kahn
Omer Counter, SAPHYR III, Variation IV, Acrylic on wood, 36 x 28 x 5 in., 2011

Ariel wishes all our friends and relatives an inspirational Shabbat.

This entry was posted in Art, Glamour, Hollywood, Hollywood Cars, Hollywood Stars, Hollywood Still Photography, Ida Lupino, Judaica, Judaism, Painting, Quotes, Screenwriting, True Hollywood Confessions and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Trackbacks are closed, but you can post a comment.

1. kishke
    Posted April 24, 2017 at 9:42 am | Permalink

The Wyeth painting of the girl at the gate. Wow.

The Chanaral photo is something else. I thought it must surely be a painting.

Rick McGinnis’s Belfast photo (which I love) is awfully reminiscent of a Harry Callahan photo you have posted in the past. A homage?

Camels … interesting.

Omer counter … humorous.

Posted April 22, 2017 at 12:14 pm | Permalink

How does one photograph via “Google Street View”? Nevertheless some interesting photos.

Ironic for one who loved life so intensely that she should die so young and on the flip of a coin (on taking the train vs plane)

Posted April 22, 2017 at 12:11 pm | Permalink

Ironic for one who loved life so intensely that she should die so young and on the flip of a coin (taking the train vs plane)

4. LBD
    Posted April 21, 2017 at 6:29 pm | Permalink

His Girl Friday is the best movie ever.

Posted April 21, 2017 at 10:09 am | Permalink

Theodore Roosevelt used the soubriquet ‘White House’ to descirbe The Presidential Residence. The nearest we have come in recent time to that great and good man is Ronald Reagan. Hope that Donald Trump is another incarnation.

6. Michael Kennedy
    Posted April 21, 2017 at 8:15 am | Permalink

Fortunately, she has been restored and is sailing again.

7. Michael Kennedy
    Posted April 21, 2017 at 8:09 am | Permalink

In one of his delightful memoirs, David Niven mentions the sad sight of Flynn’s yacht “Zaca” lying as a ruin in some port. That is probably it in the photo.

8. Posted April 21, 2017 at 5:53 am | Permalink

Happy Friday, Robert.

As usual, I love your selection of entries in this week’s Friday Photos. You grandson is adorable, but I am mesmerized by the Red Tail Hawk. I envy someone who can create something so life-like on a canvas.

• Annual Ariel Avrech

Ben Shapiro: "How You Can Save Israel"

Larry Elder: "The New Black Anti-Semitism"

Michael Medved: "Shifting Alliances: Why Liberals No Longer Reliably Support Israel — And Conservatives Do." Blog Post | Audio (mp3 97MB)
    David Horowitz: "The War Against Judaism on the University Campus." Blog Post | Audio (mp3 16MB)
    Joel B. Pollak: "The Mainstream Media's Betrayal of Israel." Blog Post | Audio (mp3 15MB)
    Yossi Klein Halevi: "What is Expected of a Survivor People: Lessons My Father Taught Me." Blog Post | Audio (mp3 18MB)
    Dennis Prager: "Happiness is a Mitzvah, Not an Emotion." Blog Post | Audio (mp3 80MB)
    Rabbi Steven Pruzansky: "Conformity in Jewish Life: Vice, Virtue or Affectation?" Blog Post | Audio (mp3 64MB)
    Rabbi Dr. Gil S. Perl: "What Was the Rosh Yeshiva Reading: Intellectual Openness in 19th Century Lithuania." Blog Post | Audio (mp3 70MB)