Philistine Gun Control and Jews

Now, not a smith was to be found in all the land of Israel, for the Philistines said, “Lest the Hebrews make swords or spear.” And all Israel went down to the land of the Philistines to sharpen each man his plowshare and his colter and his axe and his mattock… And it was on the day of war, that neither sword nor spear was found in the possession of all the people who were with Saul and Jonathan, but Saul and Jonathan had them.

I Samuel:  19-22

“I don’t like guns.”

This declaration from a friend, a Jewish liberal reacting with dismay when told that yours truly owns several firearms, goes regularly to the shooting range, and strongly advocates for private ownership of weapons by honest, law-abiding citizens.

“I don’t like plastic bags.” I responded.

My liberal friend was like: “Huh?”

“The Khymer Rouge murdered over one million Cambodians by suffocating them with plastic garbage bags,” I said.

One of the enduring mysteries of Liberals, specifically, the post-modern Jewish Liberal, is the aggressive and self-righteous surrender of the right of self-defense.

For the first time in Jewish history Jews are rushing to disarm themselves in the belief that a Jew without a gun is better off than a Jew with a gun.

From hell, Hitler and Stalin are chuckling, for these two genocidiers, upon assuming power, banned private ownership of guns.

As slaves in Egypt, the Jewish people were forbidden weapons. Later, settled in the Land of Israel, but under the oppression of the Philistines, the Book of Samuel informs us that every blacksmith was forcibly relocated outside Jewish tribal areas and into Philistine towns and military garrisons. In this way, a Jewish rebellion was made all but impossible.

However, under the charismatic leadership of Saul and Jonathan, courageous soldiers, the Jews fought with bows and arrows and slingshots and were, to a some extent, successful in throwing off the yoke of Philistine oppression. In truth, the manufacture of iron and implements of war among the Jews of ancient Israel was not plentiful until the reign of King David.

You would think that modern Jews would have learned the lessons of Jewish history. You would think that Jews, of all people, would understand that the greatest number of murdered people have been the victims of their own governments. You would think that Jews would be immune to voluntarily forming a circular firing squad. But the modern liberal Jew is impervious to common sense and to the bitter lessons of Jewish history.

My Liberal Jewish friend again said, “I don’t like guns.” As if repeating this mantra somehow made it true.

I said: “The Jews who battled the Nazis in the Warsaw Ghetto did  not share your sentiments.”

Two months later, as several police helicopters hovered over our street searching for an armed and dangerous criminal, my Liberal Jewish friend called and asked me to come over to her house with one of my guns and stay with her and her infant until the danger passed.

Of course, I obliged.

This entry was posted in Gun Control, Israel, Weapons and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. thejewishrepublican
    Posted December 14, 2011 at 10:01 pm | Permalink

Here in NJ – I finally broke down and got my rifle permit and 2 certificates for hand guns.  My wife isn’t too thrilled – but its time for some real home protection and she doesn’t have much to argue about.  Now I just have to decided on what pieces to pick up.   What do you recommend Robert?  I was thinking of a basic Mossberg 500 for home protection – then ? which hand gun to get? I’m new to this – but let me tell you – my rabbi was the first to tell me he wanted to come to the range and help him get his permit too – that kind of blew me away.  Even my neighbor  – when he heard me talking about it said he was glad to know that someone on the street was going to be “armed” if any problems arose with one of the violent gangs here in lakewood.  We had a police officer executed while sitting in his car just a little more that a mile from my home.   Robert – I have to give you credit for all of this – I long ago read your account of the rodney king riots and it bugged me for the longest time – now finally I am doing something about it – This is one jew that is not going down without a fight!

Posted December 15, 2011 at 2:24 pm | Permalink

jewishrepublican:

Mazal Tov on joining the ranks of sanely armed Jews. The Mossberg is a fine shotgun. Though I have to admit that I have very little experience with shotguns.

We’re so glad that we have been a positive influence on your thinking. If your wife is unhappy, turn her loose on Friday Footwear. She’ll go all mellow.

2. Posted December 13, 2011 at 7:50 pm | Permalink

Robert,

In situations like that, I am always reminded of that great philosophical film, Shane. In the film, Alan Ladd utters these immortal words:
    “A gun is a tool, Marion, no better or no worse than any other tool, an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that”.
    Of course, it might need to be modified if your friend’s name is not Marion…

PJ

Posted December 15, 2011 at 2:25 pm | Permalink

Prophet Joe:

Cannot resist: “SHANE! SHANE! SHANE!”

3. David Foster
    Posted December 13, 2011 at 7:10 pm | Permalink

Basically, liberals and “progressives” tend to assign moral agency to inanimate objects rather than to humans. Examples of this could be seen when, right after 9/11, the idea of arming airline flight crews was mooted.

One noted TV personality said that it would make her “nervous” to know that the pilot of her plane was carrying a gun.  Many pundits kept repeating, like a mantra, the phrase “the pilot needs to concentrate on flying the plane.”  Others made much of the fact that pilots are not trained law enforcement officials. Obviously, “gun” to many of these people was an icon of such evil power that it was more frightening than the prospect of a terrorist in control of a large airliner.

• Bill Brandt
      Posted December 13, 2011 at 7:24 pm | Permalink

Of course a simple .38 would have prevented the hijacking – but I suspect that i am preaching to the choir ;-)

• Miranda Rose Smith
      Posted December 14, 2011 at 12:01 am | Permalink

Dear Mr. Foster: But it didn’t bother her that he had an airplane?

• David Foster
        Posted December 14, 2011 at 12:16 pm | Permalink

Miranda…”But it didn’t bother her that he had an airplane?”

Apparently, to her simple stimulus-response mind, a GUN was scarier than an airplane because….it was a GUN.

Posted December 15, 2011 at 2:28 pm | Permalink

David:

Lovely and articulate observation regarding liberals and moral agency. Funny, they push moral equivalence in life and death situations, yet view guns as pure evil. This is not just dumb, it’s positively dangerous.

4. Shyla
    Posted December 13, 2011 at 3:52 pm | Permalink

I take every opportunity to remind my students that any time we hear “gun control,” “rent control,” etc., we need to focus on the correct word: control. If Almighty God gave me free will, why would I willingly let another person control any part of my life?

Posted December 13, 2011 at 9:46 pm | Permalink

Shyla:

In Liberal-speak, gun control means banning the private ownership of guns by honest, law abiding citizens, thus making it a certainty that besides police, only criminals will be armed.

5. Jackie W - Kansas
    Posted December 13, 2011 at 1:12 pm | Permalink

Don’t tell PETA, but here in fly over country we actually eat what we shoot.  I am glad deer season is over though.  We have rifles, but no hand guns.

Posted December 13, 2011 at 3:17 pm | Permalink

Jackie:

Fly over country is, in the immortal words of Barack Hussein Obama, the land of bitter religious clingers, right?

My kind of people:-)

• Bill Brandt
      Posted December 13, 2011 at 7:38 pm | Permalink

Jackie – while I am not an avid hunter I have gone a few times in years past with a friend since childhood, who is an avid hunter.

He’s one of those guys who – if turned loose in the forest with nothing – would surface a month later 10 lbs heavier.

Anyway years ago we went to Wyoming to hunt antelope – now that trip was the trip where anything that could go wrong did go wrong –  Robert would have a fun time writing the trip as a comedy – no embellishment required.

(just one small example – my friend assured me in Sep it was “shirtsleeve weather” and we get caught in a blizzard – me with socks over my hands to keep warm – and burning the rear of my jacket on the campfire) – A rear end on fire almost always gets a laugh!

But I managed to shoot an antelope – an animal whose closest relatives are in Africa – with lighting speed – and I turned down my friend’s offer to clean it – feeling “I killed it – I should clean it”.

it was an experience and to tell you the truth there is quite a thrill shooting an animal running a good 45 mph – having to lead it 10 feet.

I remember the shot to this day – 35 years later.

6. Posted December 13, 2011 at 10:15 am | Permalink

As a gentleman, Robert, I’m sure you didn’t take the opportunity to gloat, but out of curiosity, did your friend ever decide to go to a range or buy a gun after that?

Posted December 13, 2011 at 3:21 pm | Permalink

Christopher:

I did not gloat, nor did I ever mention our conversation. My friend is a good woman who was scared out of her mind. I understood and was glad to help. I used to guard children’s bunks on a kibbutz in israel from terrorist incursions. In truth, I felt comfortable doing much the same so many years later in Los Angeles.

Posted December 13, 2011 at 10:06 am | Permalink

I always get a someone perverse pleasure taking someone who never fired a firearm to the range (we have one of the best in the country – 1,000 acres out in the country) –
    You see them start to grin as they concentrate on hitting the target,
    I feel like I have turned another to the “dark side” ;-)
    Perhaps you & Karen could invite her to the range next time?
    Truth be told Robert your anti gun friend would be – hiding in her closet? – should another event like the Rodney King riots happen in her neighborhood.
    Funny thing I joke to my neighbors when I hear a police helicopter with searchlight circling my neighborhood – I wonder what they know that I don’t know.
    But I have never been fearful with my dog and my .45….

Posted December 13, 2011 at 3:22 pm | Permalink

Bill:

My friend would probably not feel comfortable at a shooting range. I get it. It’s not an experience that everyone relishes. I’m just happy that she knows she can call me. I’m like her personal Have Gun Will Travel.

8. LukeHandCool
    Posted December 13, 2011 at 9:52 am | Permalink

Robert, I imagine your wife, Karen, with a very sleek, stylish handgun kept in a very fashionable handbag.

Growing up, our father wouldn’t let our mom buy us toy guns for Christmas. I, too, grew up with the “I don’t like guns” mentality. As a city boy who didn’t grow up with guns, it’s hard to change. But more and more I’m heading in the direction of getting one. Can’t argue with your logic on the need for Jews to arm themselves.

P.S. I got your book and I’m looking forward to reading it. Just got to find some spare time … that’s the hardest thing!

Tom

Posted December 13, 2011 at 3:26 pm | Permalink

LukeHandCool:

I know Hollywood people who won;t buy toy guns for their kids. You know what happens? They play with make-believe swords and end up stabbing at each other and almost gouging out eyes. It’s really dangerous. But these parents don’t get it and maintain their counterproductive gun ban.

Let me know how you like—or dislike—my book. It’s a great Christmas gift for kids ages 12-120!

Posted December 13, 2011 at 9:47 am | Permalink

You could substitute a lot of issues for gun control and that statement would still be true.

When guns are not needed I will gladly give up my right to own one.  That day will never come because even if the world consisted of puppies and unicorns it would still be fun to go to the shooting range or into the woods to hunt quail.  And until the police can be there whenever a criminal uses a gun I’ll take responsibility for my own safety.  After all, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

• Bill Brandt
      Posted December 13, 2011 at 1:19 pm | Permalink

Remember the police don’t carry guns to protect you. They carry them to protect themselves

Posted December 13, 2011 at 3:29 pm | Permalink

Bill:

During the Rodney King riots here in LA, the police were useless. Totally useless.

Posted December 13, 2011 at 3:27 pm | Permalink

Johnny:

I will never give up my guns. The Rodney King riots taught me that only I can protect my family.

One Trackback