Before we get to a revealing article from the Israeli newspaper Haaretz that is stunning but hardly surprising, Seraphic Secret would like to observe that:
1. The beast that is loose in the Arab Muslim world has nothing to do with some obscure You Tube trailer which looks like it was made on a budget of maybe $1.50.
2. Using this You Tube movie as a pretext, the Arab Muslim world is attempting to impose sharia on the west.
3. And they are succeeding.
4. When the American government apologizes to murderers for a dopey film, that is sharia.
5. When the American government unleashes the forces of the Justice Department who have arrested the filmmaker — goodbye, Freedom of Speech — that is sharia.
6. When so-called journalists endlessly repeat the lie that the murdering and rioting was touched off by a home movie when we know that is false, that is sharia.
7. Sharia, whether it comes from a bunch of barbarians in the Arab street, or an American President in custom Brooks Bothers suits, it is still theocratic fascism.
8. Sharia in the Muslim world is the face of Islam.
9. Imported to the West, under the guise of religious tolerance, sharia is multiculturalism, the religion of liberals.
10. Israel has been warning America for months about radical trends in the Middle East and North Africa, including irregularities at certain foreign embassies. And for months the Obama regime trotted out unicorns and fairies.
11. Obama couldn’t get this right, and this was simple.
12. Trusting Obama to get Iran right is not just stupid, but suicidal.
For months before the most recent attacks on U.S. embassies in North African states, Foreign Ministry and U.S. State Department officials had been arguing over developments in these countries. Senior figures in Jerusalem claimed that Washington was burying its head in the sand and ignoring the increasing radicalization in states such as Tunisia and Egypt.
The Obama administration, which since the beginning of the Arab Spring has aided, directly or indirectly, the forces that brought down the dictatorial regimes in Egypt, Tunisia, Yemen and Lybia, now finds itself in a position of helplessness. The attack on the consulate in Benghazi, in which the U.S. ambassador to Libya, Christopher Stevens, was killed, and the storming of the U.S. embassies in Tunis, Sanaa and Cairo, proved the great hostility to the United States and the unwillingness of these country’s new leaders to challenge domestic public opinion.
Senior Foreign Ministry officials say their conversations with their Washington counterparts have focused on what Jerusalem terms “radicalizing trends” against not only Israel but also against the United States and the West in general.
One of the most recent such meetings took place a week ago, during a visit to Jerusalem by the acting Assistant Secretary of State for Near East Affairs, A. Elizabeth Jones.
“The Americans were constantly trying to supply explanations and excuses for events in the post-revolution Arab states, and simply ignored the problems,” one senior Israeli official said, adding, “In practice the administration’s ability to affect events in the Arab world has decreased immensely.”
The Foreign Ministry official presented the example of Tunisia, which was expected to be moderate despite the rise to power of the Muslim Brotherhood. Several weeks ago Israel’s ambassador to Poland, Zvi Rav-Ner, reported that the Tunisian ambassador to Poland had been called back to Tunisia unexpectedly, ending her posting there. Rav-Ner added that all five women serving as ambassadors of Tunisia in various countries had been recalled at around the same time.
The Israel embassy in Washington was instructed to report the matter to the State Department and determine whether it was aware of the development. Several days late U.S. officials reported that the measure was technical only, involving the replacement of all ambassadors from the previous regime, and had nothing to do with gender discrimination.
The Foreign Ministry conducted its own examination and determined that many male ambassadors from the previous regime had not been recalled. “We knew what was happening, but the Americans preferred to find excuses,” said the senior official.
A similar pattern emerged as to Israeli efforts to prevent a clause being added to the new Tunisian constitution outlawing normalization or contacts with Israel. The Foreign Ministry asked the United States to intervene, but was not satisfied by the response. “They told us, ‘Don’t worry, it’s going to be all right, the clause will be left out,’ but the clause is still in there,” the official said.
Israel has also called American attention to the fact that for the past year Egypt has been dragging its feet over talks on reopening the Israeli embassy in Cairo. U.S. appeals have failed to speed things up.
Senior Foreign Ministry officials said the latest riots at the U.S. embassy in Cairo, and the weak condemnation of President Mohammad Morsi, demonstrated that despite its massive military and economic aid to Egypt the United States had failed to achieve any real influence over the Muslim Brotherhood. “Only now, after what happened to their embassies, the Americans are beginning to understand the situation,” the senior official concluded, “to hear the president of the United States declared that Egypt isn’t an ally, but also isn’t the enemy – that’s a real earthquake,” he said.
H/T Israel Matzav
Tonight begins Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year. Seraphic Secret will be offline until Wednesday. Karen and I wish all our friends and relatives a Shana Tova.