Reading Lunch Under the California Sun

BB's life was a mess. It's hard to believe that she's now 80 years old. Great photos.

BB’s life was a mess. It’s hard to believe that she’s now 80 years old. Great photos.

Because we live in Los Angeles where the sun shines almost every day of the week, I often sit in Casa Avrech’s patio eating lunch and reading.

Here’s a sample of the books I’m working on — and the lunches I eat.

Amazing history of the Jewish people during Talmudic times.

Amazing history of the Jewish in Israel people during Talmudic times.

Absolutely harrowing. Not the best book to read while eating.

Absolutely harrowing. Not the best book to read while eating. Cannibalism was not unheard of during the siege.

It's amazing how long it took for Myrna Loy to transition form Asian vamp roles to be recognized as a great American comedy player. This is the first book to reveal that Loy had a botched abortion that rendered her infertile.

It’s amazing how long it took for Myrna Loy to transition from Asian vamp to delightful girl next door. This is the first book to reveal that, tragically, Loy had a botched abortion that rendered her infertile.

A superb book about my favorite painter.

A superb book about my favorite painter.

A unique history of how World War II came to a bloody end.

A unique history of how World War II came to a bloody end. The Germans did not go gently into the night.

This volume has some of the best photos of early Hollywood ever published.

This volume has some of the best photos of early Hollywood ever published.

This entry was posted in Book Reviews, Books and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Trackbacks are closed, but you can post a comment.

1. DavidP
    Posted March 26, 2015 at 9:48 pm | Permalink

Re: “I usually read several few books at a time. I think I have a touch of ADD. Or maybe I’m just intellectually restless.”

People with ADD tend to be multitaskers; so it is common for them to like to read several books at once. ADD is often regarded as a negative; but in fact, people with ADD often tend to be highly intelligent and excel at making creative associations and seeing order in disorder. What they are bad at is doing boring stuff. In college, people with ADD are likely to have good grades in stuff that interests them, but bad grades in stuff that doesn’t interest them.

Lawyers who have ADD are likely to do exciting trial work. Doctors with ADD will work in emergency rooms. I’ve heard that lots of pilots have ADD (at least in the old days before airplanes were flying computers).

Sorry for going off on an interesting tangent (another trait of ADD) but don’t assume that this is because I have ADD.

Posted March 27, 2015 at 4:04 am | Permalink

David P:

In school I received excellent grades in English and History, failing grades in math and science.

Kept getting the dreaded Could Do Better on my report cards.

As you said, I was a classic ADD kid.

• Earl
        Posted March 27, 2015 at 5:46 pm | Permalink

Haha, so did I.
        I also read several books at once. There’s a stack in the bedroom, another in the loungeroom and a few more in the kitchen. I’ve a few of Kobal’s books including that one.
        Your lunches look good, nice and light for a sunny day in the yard.

2. gecarroll
    Posted March 26, 2015 at 4:42 pm | Permalink

great lunches, interesting books and fantastic shoes!

3. Kevin Aldrich
    Posted March 26, 2015 at 8:48 am | Permalink

How’s about some of your salad recipes?

I’m into low carb too and always looking for ideas.

BTW, I can’t tell you how much I miss SoCal.

Posted March 27, 2015 at 4:12 am | Permalink

Casa Avrech recipe:

1. Fresh baby spinach
      2. Fresh strawberries
      3. Canteloupe
      4. Apples (I favor the Pink Lady brand)
      5. Carrots
      6. Fresh salmon
      (Blueberries are optional because they tend to end up rolling along the floor.)

Cut the fruit into bite-sized slices, mix together in bowl. Add strips of salmon. Dribble non-fat Greek yoghurt, and then add (not too many) mixed nuts.

Ease yourself into a chair, open book, say the proper b’racha, read, eat, and be grateful.

Posted March 26, 2015 at 8:19 am | Permalink

Robert,
    Your reading matter seems of interest, but are you really eating these terrible, old woman lunches? And, of course, the reason the old women look and act as they do. Seems like something right out of The New York Times — recently recommended frozen mother’s milk. I actually know someone who has made that purchase. My feelings on that score may be imagined.

Posted March 26, 2015 at 8:30 am | Permalink

Barry:

Hey, I need some positive reinforcement for my healthy food choices:-)

A few years ago I was gaining weight at an alarming rate, my blood pressure was too high, blah, blah, blah. I changed my eating habits by cutting out refined sugar and processed foods. I also cut down on carbs and starches. I started walking three miles a day. I lost 30 lbs. in a year. My blood pressure is fine, and I feel much better.

Also: I happen to love fresh fruit, non-fat yoghurt, and salmon.

• kishke
      Posted March 26, 2015 at 11:47 am | Permalink

“… these terrible, old woman lunches”

I like the turn of phrase.

5. kishke
    Posted March 26, 2015 at 7:35 am | Permalink

No fiction, I see.

Posted March 26, 2015 at 8:26 am | Permalink

Kishke:

Did not include “The Land of Spices” by Kate O’Brien, an amazing novel. For some reason I forgot to take a pic of that book with lunch. But I do read more non-fiction, that’s been a trend for many years.

• kgbudge
      Posted March 26, 2015 at 8:58 am | Permalink

I find I don’t have much patience for fiction any more. Except I will occasionally re-read some Tolkien.

Robert, I see you have Kershaw’s excellent book on your reading table. I quite enjoyed that one, if “enjoy” is the right word.

Posted March 27, 2015 at 4:14 am | Permalink

Kgbudge:

Confession: I have tried reading Tolkien, and each time I’ve never gotten past page 10.

• kgbudge
          Posted March 27, 2015 at 10:04 am | Permalink

Sorry to hear it.

But my daughter feels the same way.