Seraphic Secret Appears on Varney & Co

A few minutes after I returned from my morning walk, Jake Novak, Executive Producer of Fox’s ratings powerhouse, Varney & Company, called from New York.

“Robert, listen — sorry to call so early, but Stuart read your blog post about 2016: Obama’s America, and he’d like to interview you about your experience.”

“When?”

“Ten  minutes.”

“Um, sure.”

I was in the middle of donning my tefillin for the morning prayers. So I did what any not-so-good Orthodox Jew does when pressed for time: I kicked into hyper-prayer. Managed to finish the twenty-minute service in just under nine minutes.

Stuart Varney introduced me as Emmy Award-winning screenwriter Robert Avrech and asked me to describe the screening that Karen and I attended. He was primarily interested in audience reaction to the hit film. I described the feeling of electricity in the air, the manner in which the audience connected with the film on a deep, emotional level and, of course, the standing ovation at the end of the movie.

Stuart asked me whether this wasn’t unusual for a political documentary. I affirmed that it was, especially for a film that has been ignored or treated with scorn by the mainstream media. I mentioned that at some screenings, the audience spontaneously breaks into “G-d Bless America” because Dinesh D’Sousa’s movie is not so much anti-Obama — it’s a deeply nuanced psycho-political portrait — as an affirmation of America’s exceptionalism, a designation President Obama’s policies are designed to erase.

Stuart found this last point worthy of note and thanked me.

As Karen was fixing her morning tea, I told her about the interview. Karen asked if I gave the URL for Seraphic Secret.

“Didn’t have a chance. Besides, it would have been a little low-rent.”

“Too bad. But I understand.”

“But hey, now I’m famous. You want my autograph?”

The love of my life blew me a kiss as she headed out the door.

This entry was posted in 2012 Election, 2016: Obama's America and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. Posted August 28, 2012 at 7:03 pm | Permalink

Awesome news, Robert. Be sure to post the link please!

2. maya
    Posted August 28, 2012 at 10:32 am | Permalink

I do enjoy that Karen won’t let this newfound fame go to your head ;).

The documentary sounds interesting – it’s actually got multiple showings throughout the day at one of the biggest theaters in downtown Boston – if I can find time after Labor Day weekend (out of town), I shall see if I can persuade my boyfriend to come with.

3. David Foster
    Posted August 27, 2012 at 3:55 pm | Permalink

Looks like the videos are archived at Varney’s site….there are about a dozen segments per day…Robert, can you identify which segment you appeared in? Thanks.

Posted August 28, 2012 at 8:31 am | Permalink

David:

I have no idea. I’ll ask the producer to send me the link and then I’ll pass it on to you.

4. kgbudge
    Posted August 27, 2012 at 12:18 pm | Permalink

“I kicked into hyper-prayer. Managed to finish the twenty-minute service in just under nine minutes.”
    I’m confident G-d could keep up.
    (Apologies if that was too irreverent, or [more likely] I’ve greatly missed the point.)

5. DrCarol
    Posted August 27, 2012 at 12:08 pm | Permalink

I saw the film Saturday afternoon in a city south of DC.  It was there for two days–my hometown, north of the Mason Dixon line, only had it one day (although in multiple theaters).  The audience was mostly older adults.  Applause at the end, and a lot of discussion in the hall afterwards.  I didn’t look around to see how many were there, but the theater was not full or even close to it. Then again, this was the 7th showing over two days.
    We thought the film was very well done, not anything the left could label as crazy right wing ranting.  The movie was a reasoned questioning of who Obama’s founding fathers are (great concept, and D’Souza’s conclusions are valid).  That said, I am contemplating buying acreage so I can grow my own food :-p
    My friend said he is the embodiment of Obama’s vision for America–an underemployed white male with an underwater mortgage.

Posted August 28, 2012 at 8:33 am | Permalink

Dr. Carol:

At my screening too there was lots of discussion afterwards among the audience. It was just fascinating to see so many engaged citizens.

Posted August 27, 2012 at 12:05 pm | Permalink

Varney is very good and as someone born in another country he appreciates the freedoms we have in America more than the usual MSNBC hosts.

Now that you’re famous I assume you’ll have to be dodging the paparazzi. Will you be doing the typical celebrity thing and hire an assistant to tell you how smart and good looking you are? And how much will the job pay so I can let people know before they apply?

Posted August 28, 2012 at 8:37 am | Permalink

Johnny:

Varney does a great jon. He also wears great suits and ties.

Being famous is not all its cracked up to be. When I went shopping yesterday in the local Smart & Final I tried to make my way to the front of the line — because I’m soooo busy being famous — but a very BIG guy in a Harley t shirt threatened to break my neck.

No respect 🙂

7. Abigail
    Posted August 27, 2012 at 11:47 am | Permalink

That’s exciting! Please post the interview when you have a chance.

Posted August 28, 2012 at 8:38 am | Permalink

Abigail:

I’ll post the link when I get it.

Posted August 27, 2012 at 9:26 am | Permalink

Congratulations Robert! I am thinking that sometimes that East Coast vs West Coast time and bring some problems for interviewees 😉

Posted August 28, 2012 at 8:40 am | Permalink

Bill:

Problems with the time difference only kick in when a member of my family forgets the three hour lag and calls me at 4 in the morning.

9. LukeHandCool
    Posted August 27, 2012 at 8:39 am | Permalink

Will the segment air again today? I know that some Fox shows are repeated a number of times throughout the day. Hope you had a chance to tape it and can post it.

You reminded me I need to get out and see the movie.

Tom

Posted August 28, 2012 at 8:41 am | Permalink

Tom:

No idea how often segments air. As I said, I will post the link when I get it.

Yes, see the movie. It’s really important.