Taps for Rabbi Chaplain Abraham Avrech — Video Added

AVRECH RABBI ABRAHAM SET_06172014

This past Sunday Karen and I were in NY for the unveiling of my father’s headstone, which reads:

“A crown has fallen from our heads”

Rabbi Abraham son of Rabbi Shmuel.

The quote we chose with which to honor my father’s memory is from Genesis, 23: 6.

honor1

Because my father served as a Chaplain in the U.S. Army through World War II, Korea, and Vietnam, an Honor Guard was present to express the sentiments of a grateful nation for my father’s service to this country.

The Honor Guard unfurled the flag, fired three volleys, played taps, folded the flag, and presented it to my mother. I was leaking tears during the entire ceremony which was conducted with perfect dignity and slow motion solemnity.

honor2

Here’s a video of the Honor Guard. YouTube Preview Image

May my father’s neshama have an aliya. And G-d bless the United States of America.

I found this snapshot among my father's papers. Not sue what year it was taken, but it seems to be in the late 50's early 60's. Not sure on  which army base he was posted, but it could have been Fort Drum. In any case, my father loved the Army, was proud of serving in the 42nd rainbow Division, wand absolutely loved zooming about in a jeep.

I found this snapshot among my father’s papers. Not sure in what year it was taken, but seems to be the late 50’s early 60’s. I have no idea on which army base he was posted at the time of this photo, but my guess is Fort Drum. My father loved the Army, was proud of serving in the 42nd Rainbow Division, and got a huge kick out of zooming about base in a jeep.

This entry was posted in Abraham Avrech, America and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink. Trackbacks are closed, but you can post a comment.

1. Robert J. Avrech
    Posted August 1, 2014 at 1:51 pm | Permalink

Everyone:

Thank so much for all your generous comments.

Posted July 31, 2014 at 11:21 pm | Permalink

From the photo and the jeep it looks like the early 60s.

Salute to Col Avrech for his long service and an honorable life in serving G*d and his flock.

3. Alemaster
    Posted July 31, 2014 at 4:19 pm | Permalink

It’s easy to love our Army when we love our country. Slow hand salute to Colonel Avrech, thank you for your service to our country Sir. regards, Alemaster

4. orcadrvr
    Posted July 31, 2014 at 11:50 am | Permalink

I am certain that you made him very proud.

5. kishke
    Posted July 31, 2014 at 11:45 am | Permalink

Yehi Zichro Baruch.
    Only simchos in future bezH.

6. Pearl
    Posted July 31, 2014 at 9:36 am | Permalink

Your father deserved every honor he was given — during his lifetime and now, following his demise. And you, his cherished son, gave him, your mother, and your father’s second wife wonderful honor in following the mitzvah of “kibbud av v’em”.
    May his memory be for a blessing.

7. Posted July 31, 2014 at 9:32 am | Permalink

May his neshama have an aliya. And, may he intercede in Shamayim as Chaplain on behalf of His People in our time of need.

8. Old AF Sarge
    Posted July 31, 2014 at 9:19 am | Permalink

A man among men. May he be remembered always!

9. Posted July 31, 2014 at 9:12 am | Permalink

Yet another wonderful post about a wonderful man. Thank you for sharing, Robert.

• Annual Ariel Avrech

Ben Shapiro: "How You Can Save Israel"

Larry Elder: "The New Black Anti-Semitism"

Michael Medved: "Shifting Alliances: Why Liberals No Longer Reliably Support Israel — And Conservatives Do." Blog Post | Audio (mp3 97MB)
    David Horowitz: "The War Against Judaism on the University Campus." Blog Post | Audio (mp3 16MB)
    Joel B. Pollak: "The Mainstream Media's Betrayal of Israel." Blog Post | Audio (mp3 15MB)
    Yossi Klein Halevi: "What is Expected of a Survivor People: Lessons My Father Taught Me." Blog Post | Audio (mp3 18MB)
    Dennis Prager: "Happiness is a Mitzvah, Not an Emotion." Blog Post | Audio (mp3 80MB)
    Rabbi Steven Pruzansky: "Conformity in Jewish Life: Vice, Virtue or Affectation?" Blog Post | Audio (mp3 64MB)
    Rabbi Dr. Gil S. Perl: "What Was the Rosh Yeshiva Reading: Intellectual Openness in 19th Century Lithuania." Blog Post | Audio (mp3 70MB)