Welcome to Obama’s Sing-Sing

prison-bars

Years ago, I spent a few weeks visiting Sing-Sing Prison conducting research for a TV series. It was a grueling and depressing experience. I interviewed drug dealers, murderers, rapists—human monsters one and all. Each night, I’d go to bed thankful for prisons and wishing for even more prisons to lock away the evil.

But, every once in a while, some small bit of black humor would emerge that spoke volumes.

There was one prisoner, a small-time thief, who told me that:

…prison was kind of a relief. Look, I get clothing, three squares a day, and a roof over my head. I get medical and dental free of charge. I can even go to a shrink, a social worker, whatever. I can take college courses if I want—all for free. Outside, I gotta hustle day and night for stuff like that.

“What about freedom?” I asked.

“You know what we call prison?”

I shrugged. I had no idea.

“Home, we call it home.”

As I listened to Barack Obama’s inaugural speech yesterday, the memory of Sing-Sing and that particular prisoner floated into my memory.

Obama’s vision of America is Sing-Sing.

The government will provide just about everything you need to survive.

In return, you will surrender your freedom.

But don’t worry—and this is the most insidious part of post modern liberalism—slavery will be redefined as freedom.

This entry was posted in Obama Watch and tagged . Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

1. mgpacher
    Posted February 2, 2013 at 9:13 am | Permalink

There was one slave, a field-worker, who told me that:
    …the plantation was kind of a relief. Look, I get clothing, three squares a day, and a roof over my head. I get medical and dental free of charge. I can even go to a shrink, a social worker, whatever. I can take college courses if I want—all for free. Outside the plantation, I gotta hustle day and night for stuff like that.

“What about freedom?” I asked.
    “You know what we call the plantation?”
    I shrugged. I had no idea.
    “Home, we call it home.”
    Read Roll, Jordan, Roll, The World the Slaves Made. Eugene D. Genovese. 665 pages of text not including the notes and index.
    The progressives are recreating the plantation system. The only thing missing is the whip.

2. David Foster
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 10:57 am | Permalink

Johnny…”But will I have to learn how to play The Internationale to qualify for my free healthcare?”
    No. Any requirement to develop a specific skill would be considered a violation of your human rights in the “progressive” worldview.

3. Brianna
    Posted January 23, 2013 at 8:44 am | Permalink

“Obama’s vision of America is Sing-Sing.  The government will provide just about everything you need to survive.  In return, you will surrender your freedom.”
    Actually, that’s the optimisticviewpoint, Robert.  In reality, the government will run out of money well before the federal programs get that comprehensive.

Posted January 25, 2013 at 8:54 am | Permalink

Brianna:

Good point. Thanks so much!

4. David Foster
    Posted January 22, 2013 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

Robert, have you read the book “20,000 years in Sing Sing” by former warden Lewis Lawes? It’s pretty interesting.

Posted January 23, 2013 at 11:58 am | Permalink

David:

Never read the book, saw the movie.

5. DL REYE
    Posted January 22, 2013 at 12:09 pm | Permalink

Just found your site. Excellent. I look forward to visiting often, and reading back.
    I read Jew Without a Gun this morning. Thank you. It’s so important to bring this issue out with intelligent, well-written statements instead of the usual hash of name-calling and senseless blather.

Posted January 25, 2013 at 8:56 am | Permalink

DL:

Thanks so much for the kind note. Welcome to Seraphic Secret. Hope we live up to your expectations.

Posted January 22, 2013 at 10:50 am | Permalink

You guys actually listened to his speech?

Interesting times.

Gun stores having their shelves cleaned out.

• Brianna
      Posted January 23, 2013 at 8:42 am | Permalink

Yes, I went to the the range I usually shoot at last weekend, and they had maybe 2 dozen pistols left in the entire store.  So I went to another range I knew about which still had stock and bought a pistol there, instead.  With a high-capacity mag too, aren’t I an evil girl?

Posted January 25, 2013 at 8:58 am | Permalink

Bill:

Sigh.

It was torture. But I consider it part of Seraphic Secret’s job description.

Posted January 22, 2013 at 10:09 am | Permalink

Obama mentioned a variant of the Pelosi belief that free healthcare would mean artists can quit their boring jobs that they keep just for the benefits and allow them to do what they really want. Just what we need – more people producing Elvis on black velvet.

So with Barry and Nancy’s blessings I’m going to quit the pool business and do what I’ve always wanted to do – play guitar for U2. I assume it’s some universal right and not dependent on having to be an American band. If it only applies to Americans I want to kick Chuck Berry off the stage when he plays his monthly show at Blueberry Hill.